1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating a New Lawn Over Type 1

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Andy Franklin, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Andy Franklin

Andy Franklin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have recently fences off my old driveway they was part of my garden (its now in my garden, have taken down some old hedges and now want to top toil and turn the lot. The drive way has no concrete base, its approx. 2 " if type one and clay.

I want to top soil the lot then turf it. I'm being told that 5/6 " will be enough for the grass to take. Its about 15 Ton of Soil I need to get in over an area approx. 6m x 8m so I don't want to go to all this trouble and the grass dies next summer!

I know the ultimate thing to do it be to lift the type one but this is a huge task with no rear access to the house it would need to be done by hand.

Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I wouldn't try growing over type 1, isn't that the red stuff that sets hard like concrete? I think it would make an impenetrable layer stopping grass roots and cause problems with drainage.

How come there is no access if it was a driveway? It would be better to use a mini digger to rip it up but might be possible by hand, once you get going with a pick it will break up, what size driveway is it? If it's not too deep you might be able to break it up and mix it up with fresh topsoil.

3. Andy Franklin

Andy Franklin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Type 1 is a shingle type stone Thats compressed.

Go grass roots penetrate more the 6 inches ?

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    That's what I thought, so the compressed stones along with the fines make an impenetrable layer, great for a driveway but bad for a lawn. I've used Type 3 (no fines) on my driveway to allow it to be permeable and have a 4 or 5" layer of topsoil, I have Thyme on mine but grass would do just as well. I think you need to find a way of breaking up the Type 1 you have.

I seem to recall grass roots down to 6" but depends on varieties, I think the deeper you can give it the better.