1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

creosote - best substitue?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Boots, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Boots

Boots Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic stuff, remember every summer holiday ending up with brown hands as we had to do the garden fences. It did the job proper (if handled correctly).

Now not strictly available to us non-professionals, what is the best substitute? We don't want fancy colours, dark brown will do, as long as it looks natural.

Cheers
    Boots

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Boots, actually it is still available albeit in a substitute form known as Creocote. It's available in dark brown and light brown. It's around £10.40p a can at Wilko's and, if you've got one near you, at Charlies at around £6.60p. To be honest, I can't see the difference between Creosote and Creocote, although I'm sure there is, because it looks the same, smells the same and it would probably taste the same if you were daft enough to drink it!!:D I use it for my fences and, as I said, I can't see the difference.:scratch::D

• Like Like x 2
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Around here, I know one or two folk who insist that diesel does the trick. Some of the same people also say that when you get the oil changed on your car, keep the old oil and use that.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'd have thought it would have made the wood extra flammable but I'm told it doesn't make much difference once the oil/diesel soaks in properly and dries.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      I use Creocote as well :dbgrtmb: As Armandii said you can get it in 2 colours light and dark brown . If the colour is a little dark for you , you can let it down a touch using white spirit . It smells of creosote for a few days - I love the smell ! It then will fade down a shade over a season , the fading makes it look natural and a very nice finish . You will probally need to recoat the fence panels every 3 to 4 years . Unless you like painting fence panels ! It's a oh-no job for me :D

• lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
      Ratings:
      +641
      Creocote is causing proplems for us chicken keepers,the original creosote killed redmite but was banned for none pro.use because it is carcinogenic.The replacement stuff is eco friendly,but not as good unless you mix it 3/1 with diesel.
      For fence posts or shed floors engine oil is better and longer lasting.

• Boots

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the info all,

the problem has now escalated:(

I found an old nearly full tin of decking oil, cedar in colour, that I thought I could use.
      The boss wants the natural colour, not red:(

What about Thomsons water seal? would this be suitable and last?

Cheers,
      boots

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      I've used Thomsons water seal on masonry and I dont reckon much on it.
      I 'm not sure but I think its silicone based, not a preservative at all.

So what is the natural colour?

What are you coating?

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      :thumbsup: Well I have used this for years & really swear by it as it soaks in deep.. It's water repellent properties are excellent.. I wouldn't use anything else, but I see you now have a colour problem so may not suit you... Excellent stuff though.. :sunny:

• Boots

Ratings:
      +0
      I need it for some new farm style drive gates, I know it says on the tin that water seal will work on wood but not used it before?
      To be honest I don't feel like having to do the gates every year, the decking we have takes enough time as it is

Cheers
      boots

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,699
      Marley, are you referring to the creocote or the thompsons water seal?

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Hi Boots
        if you are finishing some new ( expensive ) drive gates and not an old fence panel behind the shed , I think you need a superior product.
        I would suggest an "oil" based wood finish as supplied in the Sikkens or similar ranges . The range and colours are a tad bewildering so I would find you local supplier of this type of product and have a chat.
        I have used Danish Oil for finishing wood but it is clear ( I used wood tint to take the colour down a shade ). If your gates are natural pine ( redwood ) colour you may want to consider a light shaded product.

Product range - Sikkens

• Like Like x 1
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
          :DOH: Doh what am I Steve.. No don't answer that.. :D No, I am referring to Cuprinol Shed & Fence Protector
          I have used this long before they outlawed creosote as it is superior to creosote old or new as far as I am concerned.. I use the chestnut on most things & it has taken on that lovely aged black look now..

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Like Harry I like the smell of Creosote/Creocote when painting the fences with it on a nice hot sunny day. The fence that runs along the lane is just over 112' long, made up of 4" x 2" timber dropped horizontally between the concrete posts to whatever height above 6' I can get it to. When I'm creosoting/creocoting the lane side of the fence the number of people who, when walking by, say how much they love the smell of it and how it brings back memories is amaxing. Put on bare wood I've found it takes two to three annual applications for it to sink deep enough into the wood to the point where you only have to redo it every 3 years.:D

• Like Like x 1
            • HarryS

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              112 feet , of Creocoting , ye gods !! :phew::phew::phew: You're right arm must be like Popeyes Armandi :D
              Is Creocote sprayable ?

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              That's just the Lane fence, Harry! I've got two other fences around the same length and they're a pig to do as they're lined with established shrubs so you have to squeeze, and I do mean squeeze, between them to paint them.:rolleyespink::WINK1::D

Yes, you can spray creocote onto the fence but I find I end up catching the wind drift, and if you're not keeping an eye out, so do passers by:D:heehee: Plus I have several climbers that have climbed from the garden side over the fence onto the Lane side and spraying is too messy to guarantee not spraying and upsetting them. I find it very relaxing to creosote/creocote the fence and don't rush it.:coffee: