1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Crop rotation - What doesn't need rotatating?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Grottybags, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Grottybags

Grottybags Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Recently acquired an allotment and am busy digging it over, as it's mainly gone to weeds. Whilst there, I'm mentally planning things.

I'm going to use beds and was planning on using a 4 year rotation. I'm also having some permanant beds, for strawberrys, asparagus and globe artichokes.

The one thing I can't find out anywhere is about sweetcorn. Can I use the same bed over and over for sweetcorn? As this needs to be grown in blocks and I'm having some square beds, this is something I was hoping could be permanantly placed, as my non-rotation beds will be the square ones.

Any guidance gratefully received.

Emma

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    This site mentions sweetcorn as part of the rotation system. I haven't grown sweetcorn for years but wouldn't have thought rectangular blocks would hurt.

http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/advanced/CropRtn.htm

Hope this helps. I am going to try globe artichokes,have you done them before?

3. Grottybags

Grottybags Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, this has been my problem.

I can find lots of texts which say "include sweetcorn in this rotation" but nothing to say whether it has to be rotated, unlike of course the brassica, legume and root groups.

I've read in some places that you put sweetcorn in wherever there is space, which implies it isn't rotational, as your space could be in the same place for a few years.

I may just have a go and see what happens. I've got my work cut out getting the whole plot clear this year anyway.

Because of the shape and size of my plot, I'm using square beds for my strawberries and globe artichokes (never grown anything more than cucumbers before, so I'll get back to you on the artichoikes) and regtangular beds for the rotations.

4. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you would get away with sweetcorn for 3 years i think, then disease and nutrient famine would kick in, better to give it a rest for a year or so, assuming you are getting good yields up to then

5. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    In Hessayon's Vegetable and herb expert, it says that sweetcorn should be rotated along with others.
    (Others being anything that is not a root or brassica).

6. rudham1

rudham1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sweetcorn is fine in the same plot just as long as you plant at least 9 = 3x3 i've never felt the need to rotate them and i've had no problems

7. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Seems the general advice is to plant in a separate plot and see! In this country pests aren't a great problem for corn, but you could try some companion planting to help. A border round the corn of geraniums, parsley, radishes will help to prevent beetles and other pests. Where space is restricted companion planting can help a lot .I always plant my outdoor tomatoes next to the asparagus, and some peas or beans could be interplanted with the corn. The corn provides support and the beans fix nitrogen.