1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Crops with the biggest "profit"

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Black Dog, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    This is really difficult for me to answer in a clear manner. Simply put, the only edibles that we grow are difficult to find in the shops, or too expensive when we do. There is only one real exceptions to this, and thats strawberries. The ones that we have are an old german variety that were first planted in the garden over 60 years ago. Even if that variety is still available, I could never be certain tht they were identical in taste, etc.

All of the other things we grow are used for various recipes, more often than not older ones. Although newer ones are used on occasion.

To give a list of what are grown here and their uses. Other than strawberries. Buckthorn (for jam). Gooseberries (tarts, etc). Cherries (cakes). Gooseberries (tarts, crumbles etc.). Redcurrants (for an old Swedish recipe called a "slice". Chokeberries, which together with strawberries make a good pie. Rhubarb ( crumbles). Quince ( for cotognata). Rowanberries (they make a jelly to go with the Easter lamb).

• Like Like x 2
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,636
      I'd like to add to the general consensus of growing what you like to eat, what's best freshly picked or hard to buy, plants that are just too interesting or fun not to try.

I have grown Agretti (most successful, but tastes dull), Chia (very handsome plants and the seeds were free from The Teenager's trendy cuisine stash), Cucamelons (baby sparrows loved the fruitlets :mad:), mini Gherkins, and several indoors edibles such as Tree Basil (looks like a bunch of overgrown nettles slightly wilted) and Dragon Fruit (I know why they are called Dragon fruit now). Even if the nutritional side is slim pickings, just growing something for fun is great. And you never know if a new favourite plant or foodstuff might emerge.

By far the best cost-effort success is with Chives. A £1 supermarket plant is now several large groups that require zero maintenance, are not attacked by any pests, flower freely and provide handfuls of the stuff that we love to eat. A bunch chopped and mixed into sour cream goes with everything. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
        Ratings:
        +1,136
        @shiney
        I don't think will ever be a problem in our garden. We have about 600m^2 of land, but half of that is easily occupied by our house, garage, porch and driveway. And half of the remaining land is my wife's holy lawn. So there is about 150m^2 left for growing whatever I like (as long as my wife agrees with it :love30:).

I try to keep it simple and easy to maintain, while also considering the birds and bees. With lots of neighbors tending to more "civilized" gardens, I prefer plants that feed a lot of different visitors.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,270
        Purple sprouting broccoli fresh from the garden, even if it takes 9 months or so from planting to cropping, is hard to beat; shop bought is pricey and invariably limp. Also makes a pleasant snack raw while working near it.
        Sweet corn is another crop best picked immediately before cooking. In my case a few minutes in the microwave.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
          Ratings:
          +2,381
          Fresh picked purple sprouting is a favourite. I sowed mine in April 2020 and we are harvesting it now. Although it's a long time growing it doesn't suffer from slug damage being a tall plant. I did have our 2 rows netted through the summer.
          I guess the most profitable crop we grew though was the runner beans, we had bucket loads every week during August and September.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,361
          We don't tend to run short of beans or rhubarb :roflol:

This is less than half of our bean growing area
          P1210243.JPG

P1210249.JPG

And this was just after I had picked 20lb of rhubarb to fill orders.
          P1210250.JPG

• Like Like x 2
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,361
            This is part of the rhubarb patch, at the beginning of the week, so I may be able to pull some in a week or two's time :)

I need to weed it and compost. :blue thumb:
            P1500939.JPG

• Like Like x 2