1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

crusty soil

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by SandyNI, Jun 14, 2020.

1. SandyNI

SandyNI Gardener

Ratings:
    +253
    I have three new flower beds and really heavy clay soil. In spring I dug in bark compost before planting bedding plants and a few perennials. The soil constantly forms a crust so when it rains, all I have is puddles! I dig it over carefully with a small fork, but within days, the crust has formed again.... along with the puddles. I have a compost heap this year so I'm hoping to dig that in come Autumn. Am I worrying unnecessarily about my crust and puddles, or is there something I can do now?

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    You are doing it already. Possibly would be worth putting a mulch of the bark type stuff on the surface. That would keep the moisture in and stop the surface from drying out. Put it on when the soil is wet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • SandyNI

SandyNI Gardener

Ratings:
      +253
      Thanks... I'll try that. Actually, that makes a lot of sense because the top layer is drying out very quickly.