1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cucumber support.

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by rustyroots, Jun 19, 2016.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi All,

I have never grown cucumbers before, but as I have a greenhouse now thought I would try as we eat quite a bit. I bought from garden centre, but I now know I over watered and the stem rotted. Today I have bought telegraph improved from garden centre. This time I will sink a flower pot and water through this as I saw on beechgrove garden. What support do they need? Just a cane or a trellis? How do you all support yours please?

Regards
    Rusty

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    I use twine. Well, actually crop supports that have liitle indidual reels for each plant.

3. OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,615
    I grow mine up a cane, and use string to encourage any side shoots that appear.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,193
      I hang string down from supports and the cucs climb up themselves,

• Informative Informative x 1
      • hydrogardener

hydrogardener Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,823
        When I first put up the greenhouse I installed upright supports. The supports were connected by sturdy dowels for extra strength. They serve two purposes: to support the plants and also to provide support for the roof when we get a few feet snow in the winter.

For cucumbers, I have a strong flexible netting stapled to the uprights. It was purchased on eBay and came in a 30' x 5' length for about seven dollars. For tomatoes, I use poly twine to support the plants and grow them cordon style.

hg1.jpg

hg2.jpg

• Like Like x 3