1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Curled leaves on Pepper/Chilli plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by golcarlilly, Jul 10, 2008.

1. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My pepper and chilli plants have all developed curling and stunted leaves, I have read this is a type of mosaic virus which can be carried by aphids (which all my plants have) I have bought some stuff to spray on and get rid of the aphids (been trying soapy water to no avail) my question is, am I too late to save them or will they pick up again once the aphids are gone or do I need something to treat the virus aswell?

ps they are in the spare room and haven't come into contact with any of my other plants thankfully!

2. cauliflower ears

cauliflower ears Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes mine had this problem and the plants have righted themselves and are now growing on normally but I think it has put them back a couple of weeks.

3. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    great stuff! thanks:thumb:

4. Damage

Damage Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That description also often caused by overwatering. Try to let them get a little dry on the top of the compost between waterings. (But not very dry of course).

5. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    - I have the same - sounds more like over watering to me as I haven't seen any aphids on them and they are a bit soaked at the moment! - Thanks Damage!

6. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We have sprayed them with some aphid killing spray and boy do we regret it, the stuff has fish bonemeal or something in it and the spare room smells like a harbour!!:eek: The green and white fly do appear dead though so may have been worth it, we are going to repeat the spraying tonight but do it in the garden then let the plants dry before putting them back inside:(

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "we are going to repeat the spraying tonight"

Not sure when you last sprayed them, but many sprays have a) a minimum time between sprays and b) a limit on the number of sprays per crop / season.

Might be worth a quick gander at the Destructions ... although I expect you've done that, in which case just ignore me!

8. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We did them on Saturday and it said for very infested plants to spray them 3 times a week at first and then once a month once under control, thanks for that anyway, I would hate to kill them with kindness LOL

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "it said for very infested plants to spray them 3 times a week at first and then once a month once under control"

Fair enough. I've not seen one like that ... I tend to use a systemic insecticide for things that are badly infested (although I'm not keen on that for anything I'm going to eat!) as they seem to have a good "kill-rate"

I suggest spraying late evening - so the Bees etc. have gone to bed

10. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It is an organic one but I can't remember the name, it does the job but what a stink LOL

11. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Golcarlilly, are you sure this insecticide can be used on edible crops?

12. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, it says suitable for use on all crops including edible :D

13. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    OMG I went to spray my plants again last night and they were absolutely COVERED in greenfly!! the spray evidently didn't work in fact it seemed as though it had helped them to multiply!! We put the plants outside and sprayed them again but I don't hold out much hope, the curling leaves are worse too and some are falling off :( bye bye lovely peppers and chillies!!