1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Curled tomato branches

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Blueroses, May 18, 2010.

1. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Most years I find some of the branches of my greenhouse kept tomato plants are 'folded over' with the appearance of new growth that hasnt uncurled itself. Not the individual leaves, but the end of the branch. They look healthy enough other than that, but I have often wondered why this is. As one plant looks like it is doing it already this year it reminded me to wonder again :scratch: It cant be too much heat can it ???? :lollol:

2. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is the heat. Mine does it too and it gets very hot in mine first thing in the morning. By 8am it can be 30 degrees C.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I'm inclined to agree with Kev. The toms in my greenhouse usually curl, but the ones I plant outside don't.

4. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi. Important I think to avoid if possible big temperature variations. Not easy, I know, at this time of the year. Try to open up the greenhouse fairly early in the morning on a sunny day as the temperature rises rapidly. Also, make sure you have some form of shading, this will help.

Cheers...freddy.

5. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your input one and all. I have an automatic opening window freddie which opens with temperature. I laughed when I made the ''It cant be too much heat can it ???? :lollol: '' comment because of the terribly cold weather we have been having right up until this past week. In fact I have been worried about them being too cold and covering them with fleece overnight. I guess that could be your point though, temperature fluctuations more that too warm particularly recently. The leaves aren't brown and crispy just a couple of curled over branches. As the plants are beautifully green and sturdy and growing flowers, I should be thankful for that. I just wondered why it happened and if I was doing something wrong.
    Thanks all :gnthb:

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I notice that potatoes do the same thing (they are the same family) - I don't think it's anything to worry about - it's a sign that the plants are growing vigourously.

7. jw_universe

jw_universe Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My larger tomato plants are like that too. Glad to know it's nothing too catastrophic :thumb: