Cut to Here?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Irmemac, Feb 5, 2018.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,287
    I'm not a fruit tree expert so this is only my opinion. With apologies if it may sound critical. :)

So far, so good, but nowhere near enough. I would probably remove at least 50% of what's left. I can see what needs doing but can't really explain it. :doh: I would remove a lot of the branches in the middle of the tree down to thick trunks. The branches I'm referring to are about half the diameter of the forking branch (not swearing :heehee:) at the upper right hand side of the picture.

Then I all the very thin branches/twigs and a lot of the thicker branches (appear to be about a good half inch diameter) that are crossing each other or close to each other.

Pity you're not nearby as it would be so easy to point out what needs doing. It needs a lot of drastic work. With a bit of luck there may be a member that's not too far from you. Some personal instruction, plus a lunch and a bevvy :biggrin:, would be the best thing.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +13,960
      Stay safe! Always come down and move the ladder rather than lean to reach! Not being bossy, but I've never fallen off a ladder yet, but I know lots of folks who have :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,686
        Hi @shiney, I'm sorry I seem to have missed your reply until now. It's really encouraging to hear we are on the right track, and also that we should keep going. I think you have explained very well what to do next, and am quite excited to get my poor husband back up the ladder to hack off more tree. I could perhaps encourage him up with one of the forking branches.... Thank you, as always, for your excellent advice. :yay: It is very much appreciated.

Thank you @noisette47 for your words of caution. In my case they are well advised. I have fallen off a ladder in a garden, fallen off a ladder from my loft, and only today I fell off the edge of a paving slab in the garden and sprained my ankle. However, due to recent surgeries (not, surprisingly related to falls!) I am not allowed up any ladders, so I will pass on the warning to my husband. :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • shiney

Ratings:
          +117,287
          @Irmemac some of the ladder work may not be necessary. If you're removing some of the bigger inner branches there would be room to climb into the tree and be supported by the bigger branches around you (usually some nice firm footing and some bigger branches to lean back against) but should really be wearing a harness and safety rope. Not quite s precariously as this - although he has a rope and harness. :heehee:

P1020998.JPG
          P1020996.JPG

P1020999.JPG

• Like Like x 1
          • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,686
            Thank you, @shiney. That's a fellow with a head for heights!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +117,287
              Sadly, not any more :sad:. He died of a brain tumour. He was such a nice man with a young family. :cry3:

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,686
              That is very sad. We lost a relative in December 2016 the same way. Two young daughters. Just awful.

• Friendly Friendly x 1