1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cuttings from Red Robin Laurel?

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Monica63, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Monica63

Monica63 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    HI everyone
    I've introduced myself - I'm Monica, not a great gardener - potter about and cut stuff back, however we have a small back garden, south facing with shaded area, also at bottom of garden I have planted a few red robin laurels, and a couple of the yellow/dotted ones, they are growing well, however I'm wanting to take cuttings in order to create a bigger privacy hedge, so far I have taken cuttings and placed in a jar of water on kitchen window sill, (I do remember my mum doing this years! ago). Any suggestions or help with regards to this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Monica

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You can either buy some hormone rooting powder to help them along, or stick a twig of willow in with them, that helps getting things to root too, but you'll end up with a spare willow tree too :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Monica63

Monica63 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi zigs
      Thank you for the advice, I'm hoping they'll eventually get some sort of root whilst in the jar of water, I know my mum and sister did it in the past that way so fingers crossed.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,095
        Just tried this myself yesterday. What i did was:
        sharp cut at bottom of the lowest leaf bud, cut all leaves off, left top 2-3 leaves on, halved these leaves, scraped layer of bark off the cutting opposite the bottom leaf bud, dipped into hormone rooting powder, used dibber to put 4 cuttings into 3 inch pots X 20 pots, watered , put into a cold frame, crossed fingers.

• Like Like x 1
        • TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
          Ratings:
          +217
          I just did this with laurel. A lot cruder though!! Trimmed a hedge and cut some of the clippings above leaf joint took some of the leaves off. Stuck 100 of them in the ground fingers crossed a few will grow. If not..... Oh well..... No harm. will do the same in Autumn when I trim it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2