1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Daffodils cut too early?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by ChloroPhil, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ChloroPhil

ChloroPhil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I have daffodils in my front garden. Recently (in the last two weeks), the flowers died. Instead of deadheading the daffodils the daffodils were cut at the base. I know the leaves are supposed to be left up until they yellow but given that the plants were cut at their base should the daffodil bulbs be uprooted and new daffodil bulbs be planted for next year? I presume the existing bulbs may not flower as they were cut too early so it may not be worth keeping these bulbs.

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Keep them ChloroPhil but you won’t get flowers next year or possibly the year after. Feed them or pot them up into 5 litre pots and keep them.
      Yes, you could replant with fresh bulbs if you want a show next year.
      A lesson learned though....6 weeks or so after flowering before any foliage is cut :)

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,089
      I would feed them tomato feed once a week. You may get some flowers next year. I wouldnt give up on them. Youll enjoy them even more when theyve recovered rather than just going for the easy fix instant gardening approach.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,541
      There's no reason why they shouldn't bloom next year. I feed mine just once with blood, fish and bone as they die back and they put on a lovely display the following year.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Try them then ChloroPhil and let us know how they perform.
      My advice about fresh bulbs is only to guarantee you a display next spring in that area. By digging them up, potting them and keeping them out of sight somewhere meanwhile would prob give you flowers from them at a later stage :)

• ChloroPhil

ChloroPhil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks. How long would you feed the tomato feed for?