1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dahlia - could it still be alive?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by CostasK, Jun 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. CostasK

CostasK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi,

Last year we bought a dahlia. I believe it is a dahlia "mystic spirit", which starts blooming in July. We planted it in a pot.

Before the winter, I cut everything above soil level. There has been no sign of growth since, and with it being late June I considered it dead. So I've decided to re-use the pot.

I was expecting the tubers to be decomposed. Instead, they seem to be in an OK condition. I attach a photo. I accidentally cut a couple of them while getting them out and they don't seem to be dry.

Is there a chance that the dahlia might regrow still? And where do I go from here, should I separate the tubers and plant separately? I would probably be putting them in the ground instead of pots.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Where did you overwinter it @CostasK ? They are frost tender and if that pot was left outside it might be dead. Don't give up just yet though, I leave my dahlias in the ground all year and lose one or two. This year they have only just started to sprout, way behind normal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      Problem with dahlias is that the tubers can be healthy and intact but if the neck of the old stems gets frosted and dies there is no way it can shoot the following year.
      The new buds form around where the old stems joined the tubers.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • CostasK

CostasK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +22
        Thanks both.

I had put the pot in the conservatory, hoping it would be OK. But I have never had a dahlia before so I have probably done lots of mistakes.

Hmm I am not confident they will sprout based on what Pete said. I will have to think about it - I might put them in a pot with a bit of soil & water regularly for a couple more weeks just to be sure they are dead and - if they start sprouting - plant them properly.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,035
          Don't try splitting it, find the neck where last year's top growth came from and look for any sign of buds.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1