1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dahlia sprouted before planting...

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Dahlia dahlia, May 6, 2020.

1. Dahlia dahlia

Dahlia dahlia Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.
    I'm completely new to this and was after some advice please. I've planted some dahlia tubers a few days ago but they were already sprouting when I took them out the packet so I left those bit sticking out. I'm. Not sure if I should have covered the sprouted bit with soil or leave then poking out as in the pic. Some are quite long and flimsy so wondering if I should now go and cover them over or not.
    My 2 sons age 6 & 5 helped plant them and so I'd really like to give then the best chance to grow
    Please see pics.
    Many thanks
    IMG_20200506_204502.jpg IMG_20200506_204512.jpg IMG_20200506_204549.jpg IMG_20200506_204621.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,061
    They will sort themselves out, just be careful you dont snap them off.
    When they harden up a bit and are growing well I'd add a bit more compost around the stems.

I assume you will be planting them out later?

3. Dahlia dahlia

Dahlia dahlia Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the speedy reply.
    Great I shall keep an eye on my boys to make sure they do not touch the sprouts when watering them so they don't snap off
    Yes I plant to plant them in the garden once we see which ones start to grow well. Can we leave them potted until they start to flower or should they go in the ground before then? I ask. Because we have a mixed bunch of colours and have no idea which ones are which so would be nice to plant them where their colours will. Work. Best.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,061
    Well it might be july before they flower, some of the bigger ones dont flower till august, depends a lot on what kind they are.
    If you intend leaving them in over the winter, to come up next year you might want to plant a couple of inches deeper when planting out,