1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dark ,long winter evenings....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Upsydaisy, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,374
    ....how do you pass the time and hopefully exercise the little grey cells??
    Any ideas, suggestions would be good to share.:)
    We're not television watchers at all , we may catch the news once a day. I am quite selective in what I watch and save things for later if they seem to grab my interest....love history, but not war related programmes . Also like the selection of foreign detective programmes from Walter Presents.....all of course are subtitled.

During the winter I like to do...
    Jigsaw puzzles, in the real and online.

I always have a library book on the go ( sometimes several) , but obviously I get through a lot more duringing the winter months.

I have a selection of Adult Colouring Books ( now ,now.....:nonofinger:) with a range of some super coloured pencils that when dampened act as paints.

I knit.....anything, so family beware!! :heehee:

I enjoyed all year round but again play more during the winter...
    Suduko
    Mahjong
    Masyu....new to me ,so in early stages of play.
    Word Searches ( just found some really difficult ones where you have to work out the words yourself!!)
    I will without doubt go back to my attempts at learning another language, I have an online course set up ,but seem to forget about it once the Winter has passed!!
    Trying....very trying :heehee:...to learn French ( one son has a French partner) German...because my Dad was also learning it and we use to test each other. I have recently added Portuguese to my list too......I think I'm being overly optimistic!! Don't hold your breath Vicky!!

Crosswords.
    Solitare
    Just recently found One,Two And Not Three Quiz...it will help pass the time!

And last but not least planning our garden for the following year.

Always on the lookout for new ideas so please share what you get up to to pass the gloomy months .....;);)!! Keep it printable!!:whistle:

:oopss:
    And mustn't forget of course our lovely @shiney Quizzes too...keep them coming Mr S!!:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,894
      Bom dia Upsy. Você me cansa com seus passatempos! :rolleyespink:

I crochet, read (mostly crime-related stories and botany), watch TV (crime, quiz, Discovery and Historia, NEVER soaps). I exercise daily. I MAY resume painting again, making jewelry with china/crystal beads and finish writing my children's cat stories. I can't seem to keep my attention on anything for long. :doh:
      Because of our weather I can spend time relaxing outdoors most of the year.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,679
        Killer sudoku- best done "live" because scribbling sums with a pencil by the side happens a lot. :biggrin:

Lockdown found was diamond painting, very meditative but requires good light.

Batch cooking challenging dishes.

Board games: Carcassonne (we play with "nice girl" rules, no hijacking so one can focus on building best ever fields. The pieces are well made wooden boys so if the lads are "home", one can amuse oneself by forming politically incorrect Chinese acrobat pyramids or arrange a Green party protest march across the dining table :biggrin: ) Azul (sudoku logic and quite pretty), Kingdomino (suitable for kids but can be played in as challenging way as you want- we have two boxes for a mega game)

Air dry clay for making fun pots for cacti. Waterproofing with modpodge and painting with bathroom paint works well. For some reason, I'm also fond of making ducks with the stuff :heehee:
        nursery.JPG
        ducks.jpg

...and books, books, books. Amazon is a great place to buy second hand books, you can find all those childhood treasures that are so satisfying to read again. Famous Five and the lot... :)

In addition, I drink wine and work full time when life allows :heehee:

• Like Like x 4
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +54,374

You tire me out too....you do loads!!!

You've reminded me that I use to make all my own earrings many moons ago. My younger sister and I bought loads of wires , hooks ,loops and beads..our stash was left at our Dad's place to help ourselves to, wonder what happened to it all :scratch:.

Oooh...writing a book, now that's exciting!!

• Like Like x 2
          • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +18,160
            You seem to be in for a busy winter @Upsydaisy and you will be multilingual soon :smile:

I'd love to do that. It would be a detective story, something like Poirot :smile: can't see it ever happening though ...

I'm not a tv fan I spend the winter researching and writing out my family history and some local history, and visiting various archives. I remember you mentioned somewhere else that you had done that.
            This winter I must also sort out and label the many family photos that go back for several generations (late partner's side as well)
            And I want to ( and have been told to do so by the next generation ) to write out everything I can remember about life in the 50s and 60s but my memory is fading so I'd better get on with it before it all goes blank.

I like to read, but not novels - local history and such things. Boring to many but fascinating to me.

I also enjoy sketching and water-colour painting. I have some of those
            colouring books too, they've been here a few years waiting for me to do something with them. But I prefer doing flowers and old buildings, and I have lots of photos saved from places I've been that I want to draw/paint.
            I have been thinking of doing my own Christmas cards this year.

I don't do much planning of the garden, Whenever I've done that I always change the plan when I actually come to do it, so I tend these days to do any alterations etc as I go along.

I've also got my pottery wheel and kiln which I intend to get going again this winter, and I can spend ages drawing/designing something I want to make so that passes a winter's night too.

That's one problem I have as well, my mind tends to wander ...

• Like Like x 2
            • Informative Informative x 2
            • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +54,374
              Michael I have recently be able to combine my passion for history , interest for the area I live in and my, not so pleasant, love of crime/ detective cases by reading this online from my library. Some crimes certainly didn't deserve the death penalty!!!:yikes: :nonofinger:

Screenshot_2021-09-05-14-35-11.png

Yes you're correct I have done my maternal side, sadly Mum never got to see it.:sad: My Uncle did the paternal half, so we are very fortunate to be able look back at our heritage.
              I am starting to search through street view to see how many of the old properties that my family once rented/owned are still around. As the family were mostly ( well for the last couple of hundred years) London based a lot of properties were destroyed during conflict.

You certainly have a varied lot of interesting ways to spend your time. It's so beneficial in many ways to keep our minds stimulated.:)

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,598
                It is generally my busiest time of year work wise, so free time dwindles quite a bit. We have Fletch to keep us exercised in all but the worst weather, fish to keep us amused and then it is general household stuff that keeps us busy. This winter, I intend to take stock a bit as I've reached the conclusion that I need to change gear a bit and also need to research exactly how best to do that.

• Like Like x 3
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Michael Hewett

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +18,160
                  That book is the sort of thing I like to read @Upsydaisy.

That is very true, when you think of what they were hung for it just doesn't make sense. Sometimes it was a case of starvation or risking being caught and hung. In fact lots of punishments were far too severe for the 'crime' committed.

I remember my grandmother telling me she was caned as a little girl in school for speaking Welsh to her sister.
                  Things like that have made me become interested in social history. It helps to pass the winter :smile:

I also enjoy going around looking for old farms etc where my ancestors lived. It's a pity so much was destroyed in the war.
                  I once bought a cottage that was built for my 3xgreat grandparents in the 1830s, it is still there and was built on ground where there used to be an orchard. It needed a lot doing to it but I got it done and enjoyed living there for 25 years. It was fascinating discovering its history over many years.
                  I have been known to wander around grave yards too :heehee: it's surprising what you can discover.

I've been trying to do that for years but it isn't working very well. Good luck, I hope you succeed @Fat Controller.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,598
                    I sort of don't really have a choice I think - we've not had a holiday for 16 years, during which time the hours worked have been utterly phenomenal. Debt is at a silly level, with two thirds of it for a car that is essentially a commuter-mobile for 97% of its life.... so, current thinking is that I need to knock that on the head at the earliest opportunity and then (somehow) take a portion of the money used and use it for a campervan (maybe caravan); if you are willing to do a wee bit of DIY on one, and don't worry about the reg plate on the front, they don't need to cost the earth (dog rough campers are £1500, really quite nice ones sub £4000). That would, at least, hopefully allow us to have time away where we can actually stop and rest rather than me being continually behind the wheel. Where we live, may well become a factor too - if we can get well away from this area, have cheaper housing costs and a quieter life.... its all in the mix. All of this is mid to long term

• Like Like x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Michael Hewett

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +18,160
                      Your life sounds too stressful @Fat Controller. Those changes sound good and your health will benefit.
                      I thought you meant what people say when they get older and unable to do the things they could when young. That's my problem, I think I'm still young.
                      Good luck !

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                        Ratings:
                        +44,642
                        The nights not much don't watch TV programmes much these days, but do watch YouTube a lot, I watch a lot of gardening and hubby technology.
                        Also think of what I'm going to do in the spring.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                          Ratings:
                          +49,598
                          It has been. Being ill in 2018 should have been the jolt needed and whilst I did change some things, I haven't changed enough. This May's adventures were yet another close call (apparently closer than I initially realised!) but has led me to start questioning where my time is going.

I am getting older, but am still relatively young (45) but, my health is nowhere near what it was and never will be again. This year, more than ever, I am tired.... really tired and mentally as much as physically.

I need to simplify the garden quite a bit and I really need to overhaul the finances and ultimately I need to build in some sort of leisure. We went away to Wales last week, I saw only what I could through the windscreen and we were back home in a day - 470 miles all in. Much better to go, spend a few nights and sit supping a beer looking at the stars - most sites only charge £15 or so per night. Ultimately, I see that as our only chance to actually get some holiday time. All I need to do now is somehow make it happen.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
                          • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                            Ratings:
                            +50,894
                            Do you watch these things on phones? These small screens must not be good for the eyes hours at a time. :scratch:

• Agree Agree x 2
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                              +46,154
                              I need to organise my old family photos, I have a website to share them with my family and have about 2,000 old black and white pictures going back to the 1890s. I need to add more recent photos mostly from the digital age, it's no use having them gathering dust on a computer hard drive. Also want to find a way to share old family audio, cine and video, the obvious choice is YouTube but they and all the other big media sharing sites have unacceptable policies. So will be doing some research into the best and safest way to do this.

• Informative Informative x 3
                              • Like Like x 2
                              • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                                Ratings:
                                +44,642
                                I do search for videos on my phone to put on here but not for a long time. The rest of the time is on a smart tv.

• Like Like x 2