David Austin vs Poundstretcher

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Snorky85, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,846
    Well I'm shocked...bought a lovely climbing rose (iceberg) from David Austin and planted it as they advised. It was doing really well but no flowers....then the poor thing got hit with mildew. Ended up choppinrg loads back as it was uncontrollable. Its been a right sorry state so boosting it now with liquid seaweed etc......finally got one flower! Yay

IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1798.JPG
    (Its in a meter deep pot and had mycorrhizal fungi, david austin rose pellets, manure and rose compost!)

However, the £1.79 iceberg climber from poundstretcher seems much better!!
    IMG_1797.JPG
    No flower buds though-but I thought they might come next year as it was a tiny twig when I planted it!

Really hoping the DA rose will recover ok. The powdery mildew hit it bad despite treating it with rose clear and removing bad bits etc. :noidea:

Also quite happy with my 6.99 patio rose high sherrif-smells lovely and is really healthy!

IMG_1787.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,276
      David Austin vs Poundstretcher

David Austin every time

This is just Woos personal opinnion and not meant to cause any offence:smile:

Good morning @Snorky85 my friend you get what you pay for ,the David Austin Rose never had a chance in that narrow container and that close to the wall(not sufficient air circulation which has caused the Mildew)and has been overfed,the poundstretcher Rose is in almost perfect conditions.had they been planted the other way round the poundstretcher rose would have been in a far worse condition.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,846
        I agree woo, it's just annoying. And I planted how DA told me to when I spoke to them on the phone.

I dont understand the insufficient air circulation though? My whole garden has been hit with the mildew-all around the side of the house with my heuchera and even the sunny border-very annoying. Started on the lupins! I heard it was dur to the type of weather weve had-a long stretch of drought early on this summer causes it apparently?!

Wondering whether to transfer the rose into the ground now...really wanted one growing up the back of the house :frown:

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,486
          Roses are not my favourite thing.....dont grow any now. Air too clean for them so blackspot is rife, soil too sandy, the subject too thorny, etc. Whisper it or I will be shot but roses are the most overrated, over planted, most vicious "things" :gaah:

However, I too bought a DA rose....."Disease resistant and highly scented" Olivia Austin rose for sentimental reasons. Flowered well enough but no scent. It will settle down to producing scent they said but it never did. Dug it up.:sad:

I have planted a rose garden for a friend though.....she has heavier soil and is a rose enthusiast. I incorporated generous amount of garden compost and dried manure at planting time, they are given fish blood and bone every spring and then mulched. She has very good roses.....as a matter of fact she also has my Olivia Austin cast off and it is fine (still no scent tho :noidea:)

Snorky, one obvious reason for the difference in your roses. Roses much prefer clay soil to growing in a pot esp the one you are using. I suspect too you have used ordinary mpc whereas a john innes soil based compost would have been so much better. I suggest you replant it in the garden; you will prob feel very differently about your DA rose next year.....let us know but I am confident.:)
          Re the mildew....lupins are often a casualty as are scabious and honeysuckles and many others. Dry soil and warm temperatures will cause this. And it can be caused couple of weeks before you actually see it...i.e. It may be wet when you see the mildew but it had developed during the dry spell

• Agree Agree x 3
          • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,276
            This is in no way a criticism of your gardening expertise ,just trying to give you the best advice:smile:

Good morning @Snorky85 my good friend,may I respectfully suggest that when you put the trellis on the wall,I would just instead of fix some small sections say 2 at the top+ 2 at the bottom and 1 each side of the existing framework,which would give you (depending on the thickness of the battening you use) extra room between the warm house wall and the frame of your trellia,it will definitely help the situation,I would definitely change the container to the largest and deepest round pot you can my friend:smile:

ps you could use any configuration of batoning you prefer as long as it fetches your trellis frame out from the wall.

IMG_1798.JPG

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,276
              @Verdun I could say so much in the defence of our national and favourite flower,but on this sad occasion :cry3:,I had better stop now as I am in danger of writing a very long post,so suffice to say my good friend its horses for courses,but you really don't know what you are missing;):blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 2
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,486
                In my haste to comment I missed Woo's reply. We agree about that container anyway. Looks nice but I would use it for a smaller cascading plant. A bigger container there if you want a climber to do well I think :)

• Like Like x 1
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,486
                  Half serious half winding you up WO. :heehee:
                  But.....
                  Had a pair of Zephirine Drouhin over an archway a few years ago. Wonderful scent and delightful to look at. For a couple of years they were stunning but then developed rust and blackspot...leaves dropped in mid summer to create something not nice :sad: Now a pair of honeysuckles have replaced the roses .......scent all summer incl now and looking much better.
                  I made an effort with some " disease resistant" varieties incl Compassion but they too succumbed.
                  Grown well.....decent soil, well feed, well pruned, sprayed for pests and diseases, deadheaded and grown well away from pathways (to avoid the thorns).....they are lovely:heehee:
                  Sorry WO.....I am making a fast retreat :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                    Ratings:
                    +89,276
                    Good morning @Verdun my good friend ,I only bit a little:heehee: I have to much respect for you and your gardening knowledge and anyway Roses do grow on you,enjoy your day:smile:;):blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                      +8,083
                      Have to agree mostly with @Verdun:) but also with @wiseowl re horses for courses.
                      I live in the countryside with clear air which equals Blackspot on some of my Roses big time. There were over 200 hybrid teas here when we moved in. ALL were in a par less state and all were consequently removed. However I grow various species roses and most cope here pretty well.
                      Perhaps it would a very good idea if growers/retailers were more honest and advise purchasers that despite being England's national flower many Roses are not suitable to grow nationally. When living near London (impure air and clay soil) Roses flourished but so many other parts of Britain do not have these conditions.
                      It is a pet hate of mine to see so many totally unsuitable plants offered for sale locally by both garden centres and the supermarkets. It's very easy for new gardeners to be put off our great pastime when their 1st attempts are failures often caused by buying the wrong plants for where they live. Having lived near some very large garden centres and personally knowing the owner of what was probably the biggest garden centre in Scotland I know 1st hand that many of those involved in this business have zero knowledge or interest in horticulture and are only interested in making as much money as possible so buying unsuitable plants which fail is quite beneficial as it often results in getting repeat business!
                      Personally I am very much a foliage person and apart from the likes of Rosa Glauca which I grow quite a few of Rose foliage is pretty boring. In ideal conditions and with plenty of sunshine/not too much heavy rain to ruin the blooms, Roses can look stunning but I think it's a pity that so many other as/more garden worthy genus are less well known.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                      • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                        Ratings:
                        +89,276
                        Sorry @silu we will have to agree to disagree on this matter,I have friends and Rosarians living in every county in England,and they grow some wonderful Roses whatever the soil or location,its down to the gardener and the care and attention given to their Roses.enjoy your day my friend:smile:

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                          +2,830
                          I agree with this, especially when they start selling bedding plants in March!.....bound to fail but it lets them sell more because they will sell more later.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Verdun

Ratings:
                            +17,486
                            Bit naughty when gc's etc sell plants knowing they will not last more than a few weeks....e.g. Pennisetum Rubrum, esp the eye catching Fireworks. Friend of mine bought 3 not knowing they are tender. More tender than dahlias and the like. Even knowing how to grow and care for them I still find it hit and miss if I can overwinter or not. My friend thought all grasses were the same and would be tough and truly perennial...???:noidea:

• Like Like x 1
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                              +8,083
                              Sorry @wiseowl I'm afraid I'll disagree with you too:). My late father grew beautiful Roses in Hertfordshire but the Roses he grew in Fife were not nearly as good. Why? nothing whatsoever to do with the care and attention as he gave to them the same, if not more in Fife having retired with more spare time. The soil in many parts of Fife is silty and of course our weather is usually much colder than in the South of England.
                              Perhaps the breeders should stipulate which of their Roses will cope better in colder less ideal conditions. Being an avid grower of Rhododendrons and Azaleas for many years I know the good breeders/retailers do just this and indicate which weather zone each variety will cope with. Do the reputable Rose breeders do similar?
                              You have actually given me an :ideaIPB:.I know someone who works for The Royal National Rose Society near St Albans. I'll contact her and ask if there is a national scheme of zoning for Roses as if not there should be which ok would no doubt be ignored by many outlets but might be adopted by the breeders to assist purchasers

• Like Like x 2
                              • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                                Ratings:
                                +10,846
                                This thread has been interesting reading...

All the roses in the front garden have got blackspot. They have had so much care and attention though. They've been fed, pruned and dead headed, sprayed with roseclear etc. And cleaned the secateurs thoroughly.

The black spot is slightly less rampant than when we moved in last year but it really does look rubbish at times.

Weve got the heavy clay which they like but maybe the countryside clean air causes the blackspot etc as suggested?!

I've got to say/even the david austin rose that carol/GW planted doesn't look as good as it did when it was first bought-the blooms now don't seem as big as the blooms on it when it arrived!
                                :scratch:

• Like Like x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1