1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

David Austin vs Poundstretcher

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Snorky85, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Ooooo, my ears are burning :)
    People love or hate roses and I am on dangerous ground :noidea:
    Soon gardens all over the country will have bare prickly stems for the rest of the autumn and winter!!!! :sad:
    However, if anyone grows them well, enjoys them, and isnt frustrated by them that's great; if they are a source of continued frustration and disappointment then grow something else that gives pleasure :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
      Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      I think that roses are the "Marmite" of the gardening world . You either love them or not . The few I have grown were very pretty but not long flowering. Like all gardeners I have a limit of planting space so if a plant isn't performing to my ideal , then it gets replaced - chop !

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,890
        I'd just like to say that I think quite a bit of it is plant snobbery. I have Roses from the likes of Poundland, B&M etc that have cost as little as 49p and have proved to excellent.
        Also, we enjoy their flowers from April all through to the next January. Now, that is what i call a nice long flowering season.

• Like Like x 4
        • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
          Ratings:
          +6,133
          Agree, great point there :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Let's take pics of our gardens in Jan.......be fair, include your roses as this is all about them looking good throughout the year :)
            I have a strange feeling there will be few if any flowers :rasp:

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,890
            Verdun, just because it doesn't happen for you doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For the last four years now we've even picked red and white Roses ( Fragrant Cloud and Iceberg ) for our table at Christmas.
            ( PS this post has been heavily edited :) )

• Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Pictures then in Jan ? :rasp:
              It will be fun and informative

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                Ratings:
                +10,976
                I'm up for that! Here's a few of now...

IMG_1870.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  Cheeky Snorky......pics in mid winter please! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
                  If we all publish pics of our gardens now it will be a very long thread :snorky:
                  Here heleniums, dahlias, salvias, agastaches, cannas, sanguisorbas, persicarias, anemones, gazanias, gauras, pennisetums, miscanthus, calamagrostis, penstemons, rudbeckias, echinaceas, honeysuckles, clematis, abutilons, scabious, asters, etc. are flowering. :)
                  I expect witch hazels, camellias, some rhodos and azaleas, hellebores, Cordylines, phormiums in red, yellow and pink, sarcoccoca, winter jasmine, winter heathers, early daffs, snowdrops, etc. etc. to be flowering.....as in most gardens. Plus the evergreens ...coloured foliage, variegated foliage. Just want to see if roses do perform in winter as suggested and I will apologise most profusely if they do.
                  For a bit of balance, I planted perennials and bulbs in an erstwhile bare rose bed one of my former bosses had. It then did look good....her roses were well chosen and flowered well in summer as well as looking good in winter, thanks to the addition of perennials :rasp:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                    Ratings:
                    +10,976
                    Ha ha, I thought id just do a summer vs winter review of my roses. I'm worried I have no winter interest plants in the garden except for bulbs and the callicarpas and the conifers that I don't even like. Hmmm.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Verdun

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      When I first got into gardening I planted everything for spring and summer. Then I realised how drab autumn and winter was Snorky. :)
                      Now a winter garden ..ok, not too wintery down here....is a big thing for me. The evergreens like hollies.....what is more eye catching than Golden King? .....that shine in winter, the pittosporums like Tom Thumb that have shiny black foliage in winter, the "dead" structure of grasses and the many plants that flower in winter. Many of our best scented plants flower over winter. The exuberance of summer will never be echoed but I like to think my garden has lots of colour and form in winter.
                      You dont like conifers Snorky? Have you ever grown taxus coppershine? A glorious yellow mound in summer changing to green and white then erupting to orange in spring. Or juniperus Sulphur Spray, a beautiful tactile grey form, or taxus Standishii a tight yellow pillar turning olive in winter, red berries too? Or the dwarf cryptomerias.....charming little bushes with purplish foliage turning bright green? Or Blue Star Juniper just a half a metre high and wide with foliage of blue, or picea pungens globosa with steel blue foliage? All come alive in winter.
                      Add heucheras in red, orange, yellow and almost black and evergreen grasses in colours of yellow, red, blue and green. How can winter not be colourful? :)
                      Of course there are roses too....oops! Not until June :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Informative Informative x 1
                      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                        Ratings:
                        +10,976
                        Some good suggestions there @Verdun I will have to look some of them up! I have got hollies and garriya and cotoniasta and callicarpa so I guess there are a few bits.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        Naaah, Verdun, that ain't so:dunno::heehee: We all have different dislikes and likes regarding plants and styles of gardens, plus we're all friends on GC being able to have those different opinions........how boring would it be if we didn't:doh::snorky: There are quite a few plants out there that really, really don't "float my boat" but that other gardeners are devoted to and regard their gardens as being incomplete without them!!

I think, to a degree, you're right, KFF. What Gardener doesn't want to show off a particularly fine plant and add the fact that good money was spent on it as it came from a Nationally acclaimed Supplier, giving it that "Rolls Royce" factor:yes: But then again, what Gardener doesn't enjoy showing off a particularly fine plant that was as "cheap as chips" and came from a Supermarket/Market Stall or Church Plant Sale, when the person you're showing it off to, has spent a fortune, buying the same variety of plant from some expensive Supplier and which isn't doing so well.:heehee:

Agreed:dunno:...........but then there aren't, and haven't been, many roses that were reared to flower in the Winter:doh:. There aren't many Hardy Perennials, and those are mostly what I grow in my garden, that will flower during the Winter So I don't think that roses don't give a lot of colour during Winter is a vice, to me it's more of a characteristic that I know about and accept. And again, there aren't many hardy perennials that are bred to flower during the Winter and that's not a vice.

Agreed again:love30::snorky: But surely that's part of the natural cycle of plants and the Seasons?
                        I do think, however, that there is evidence of the Seasons blurring and merging together with plants responding by flowering beyond their normal period. I have Mahonia, Clematis, Achillea, Phlox, Kerria, Osmanthus, Choisya, Buddleja. Primula, and of course Roses, etc, growing and flowering out of their "normal" season and have been doing so for the last few years.

All the hallmarks of an experienced, thinking, Gardener, Verdun:love30::thumbsup: I have two "Statement" conifers [Chamaecyparis "Lane" and Chamaecyparis "Boulevard" in the garden that the eye is drawn to and perhaps, in many ways, they hold the garden together. But, for me, Conifers are too static for me with no sense of movement, if you get my drift.:snorky: I love the changes that the Seasons bring, I love sitting in the Arbour, with a mug of hot Tea, in the very early Spring looking at all the thousands of different shoots pushing out of the borders soil and thinking in excitement "what's that?, what's that?" which after all the decades you'd think I would know!! So, yes, Conifers do provide colour during the Winter but no real "movement" so I'm not really a fan of them. I have Spirea Arguta, Ilex Aquifolium "Ferox Argentea", Garrya elliptica "James Roof", Osmanthus delavay, etc, which I love as they provide texture and colour of leaf all through the year........but the real excitement is the anticipation of them flowering.......giving me that much wanted "movement" that, for me, makes a garden.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • Verdun

Ratings:
                          +17,487
                          Definitely all friends on this most friendly of forums Armandii....I really must be a tad more tactful :)
                          Conifers, yes, are static but add solid form with seasonal colour changing aromatic foliage. Similar texture to conifers but do have "movement" are the diosmas.......lovely feathery scented foliage that move surflike in the wind and flowers too.:)

• Like Like x 1
                          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +100,836
                            No, not needed, Verdun.:nonofinger::snorky: Everyone appreciates you as you are:love30::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 2