Debit card purchse online?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Islander77, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Scotty2088

Scotty2088 Gardener

Ratings:
    +188
    As a manager of a high street bank the most common reason for debit card declines online are to do with the retailer. Basically quicker than you can blink, a message goes from the retailer to your bank to check available funds and back again. When people come in and say their purchase has been declined it’s often the retailer end. An issue with their connection or server. If you have had no other issues with your cards then that’s what makes me believe this is the case. However if you ring the bank they will be able to 100% give you the decline code and tell you why. Bet it’s a retailer fault :heehee:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Can well understand your reticence in things like paypal and credit cards and the internet, but as the c19 virus is spreading , think it shows how bad things could be if we did not have the convenience of online shopping and contact.
      ( different currencies not a problem for paypal and it also allows you to make simple small payments to other folk, saving you keeping lots of cash around)

Perhaps try and find someone you trust to guide you through things , explaining each step until you are fully happy with it.
      We are only online via the PC, rather than the small screen of the mobile phone but both have been such a great help to us over the last few years making purchases and receiving Text appointments so much easier.

Not something you might want to tackle now after your current troubles, but well worth a try in the future, it does work well for most. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Various , allegedly retired
        Ratings:
        +1,218
        As I said I hate internet stuff and use it as rarely as I can. My choice. I spend very little as I have very little. I use it when absolutely unavoidable but these are rare occasions and I prefer to pay direct . ie cheques...It certainly is not a necessity in my life. Far from it.

NB I top up my pay as you go mobile phone online and that went though fine as do payments locally so apparently it is as one wise poster said the cross currency issue.

I gave up trying to contact either bank after over half an hour listening to musak as they are "experiencing high volumes of calls and reduced staff" Life is too short .

Cannot be bothered frankly! Just trivial and I will manage the hay fever in other ways which is what this was about.

OVER and OUT from me on this; for kindness thank you. Bye!

• Like Like x 2