1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Delphiniums from seed

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Robajobs, Mar 10, 2013.

1. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    Hi simbad :) Ive no idea,i just wrote pink delphinium so im thinking there was no name on the packet:dunno: so its a wait and see :heehee: more than likely your seed if you donated the pink as well as the pacific blues so thank you i cant wait grow them xx:wub2:

• Like Like x 1
    • AndrewBarratt

AndrewBarratt Gardener

Ratings:
      +55
      Hi folks, this year's been my first attempt at delphiniums from seed and it's been a struggle. The ones I put on my sunny (bedroom) window sill failed to germinate; I call this window sill my "fast forward" because as a rule I get very good results from here but no joy with the delphiniums. I did a little more reading up and realised that they like 36 hours soaking in a fridge prior to sowing so I've placed the seeds between damp kitchen roll and placed this in the fridge and sowed them in a seed tray (plus clear plastic dome) on a cool window sill. Results are much better - after ten days I have 10 seedlings. I've taken off the clear plastic dome from my seed tray as it looked very humid in there and fingers crossed they'll continue the good work and even encourage their reticent companions to germiate. At this rate I'll have a fine display for summer 2020!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Yes, I think they will germinate better if left "cool". I sow mine in the Winter, leave them in the unheated conservatory so they get plenty of cool / cold, and then as Winter draws to a close they germinate. I have had a couple of packets that have not germinated at all, but as all had exactly the same conditions (indeed: some even shared a seed tray) I figure that is the seed, rather than me.