1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dendrobium worries

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Selleri, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,685
    My lovely Dendrobium is acting strangely. It has now flowered non stop since Christmas, has plenty of flower buds but no new stems at all- and it has dropped nearly all leaves. Previously it flowered for some months on new stems, stopped, grew more stems and then flowered on those.

Now it's flowering repeatedly on the old stems and has only a couple of ailing looking leaves left.

What's going on? I repotted it in orchid mix in spring, and very occasionally remember to give some orchid fertiliser.

(The leaves on left and behind are in fact Costus leaves, nearly identical to Dendrobium ones. It's a plant equivalent of a wig I guess :heehee: )

dendro1.jpg dendro2.jpg Edited to correct "right" to "left". Yes, really.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Not certain but your plant looks like. Dendrobium infundibulum. Working from basics. The sudden loss of foliage often indicates dryness, brought on suddenly, and or relocation of the plant. Indoors this can be as simple as sudden draughts or increase in temperature, especially at the roots.

For many of the Orchid family and there being in excess of 1000 varieties. Watering is required on a fairly strict basis, and feeding is recommended at every third watering. Winter months the plants should be kept almost dry.

Concerning the plant failing to break and produce new shoots. Often nipping of the tip of a stem will wake the plant up and bring it back on track. Hope this is of some help.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,685
      Thanks @Mike Allen ! The situation hasn't changed and the leaf loss has been gradual. I think you might have hit the nail with watering, it does dry out quite quickly and I may have been keeping it too dry. I'll keep a closer eye on the watering now. Thanks :)

• Agree Agree x 1