1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

diabetes in dogs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mayflower, Mar 22, 2006.

1. mayflower

mayflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    had to take my dog to vets yesterday because she was drinking a lot more water than usual.took some urine of her to test her blood suger was way up.they are doing more tests onher liver and kidneys.mayhave to have insulin just wonder if any of you know if there is any thing else to help she is eleven dont like to think about sticking needle in her got to take her back thursday .

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I'm sure your vet will advise you about diet and exercise, which can help a lot. Maybe they will advise tablets. You don't say what breed your dog is- if she is small and needs injections I would think the vet or practice nurses would have to do it.
    Good luck for Thursdays' visit...

3. mayflower

mayflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks liz vet phoned this afternoon to say she is diabetic will need 2 injections aday she is a westie got some think else as well but was to up set to take it allin she is such a lovely dog one of the family got to go tomorrow to learn how to give her injection. did ask about diet or tablets he said tablets are realy no good thanks again.

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Oh dear! I hope when you have thought about it all you will be more confident to learn. I was thinking about injections into veins but insulin goes into muscles, doesn't it.
    I'd like to know how you get on tomorrow, hope it goes well.

5. mayflower

mayflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    liz
    just to let you know how we went on with candie we have got to inject her once aday take her back tomorrow and saturday morning then next week but we are going to take m-law home coming back thursday so want to see candie thenalso worried about her liver going to give her anti botics tomorrow she got to go on diet no treats only dog food we only give butchers dry food giving injetion not as bad as what i thought but vet was there hope i can do it tomorrow on my own thank again

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Glad you were able to do it, you're very brave.Let's hope Candie gets on OK, no treats is hard, isn't it! [​IMG]

7. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    i feel for you mayflower.i love my dogs.

8. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just be calm, it ll all be ok

9. Dave Martin

Dave Martin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    all the best mayflower, i know things will work out for you!! [​IMG]

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Good luck - injections are easy once you get over the initial aaaaaagh especially if your dog associates them with pleasure - an allowed treat/game/fuss. Remember even small children can give themselves injections - so its more about managing you and your confidence [​IMG] .

I hope that all else is well - difficult time as your pets get older. Now if they could all have our life span, things would be so much better.

11. mayflower

mayflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to all for your interestin candie took her back yesterday on tuesday her blood suger was 27 which was very high yesterday it was 16 come down alot got to go back this morning with her .FRAN cant give her any treats only third of her food in the morning and anther third at tea time.got to stick to exercise at same time every day.injection not as bad as i thought it would be.LIZ you wanted to know how to do it all we have to do is at the back of her neck take a chunk of skin between thumb and finger and inject hopefullly missing yourself as first vet says didnt like one we seen yesterday never spoke asked what we had come for why dont they read notes never spoke to candie to reassure as she was taking blood shant go to her againonly interested if we had payed for other apointments told her i will pay as we go.apparently it is more common in bitches over the age 8 hopefully it will be good news again today.thanks again