1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Digging through tree roots ok ??

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Monty33, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I want to plant out an azalea I have in a pot under a cherry blossom tree in my garden.

As I dig the holes I encounter quite a few tree roots of various thickness.

Will it do the tree any harm to slice through a few of these with the spade to clear a good hole for the azalea and its ericaceous compost surrounds.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    How old is the tree?

Personally, I've sliced through tree roots before and its not harmed the tree, but in the hot dry weather I certainly wouldn't be wanting to cause extensive root damage to a tree a really liked.

Will the cherry tree care about the ericaceous compost? I don't know the answer to that but it is something I'd be thinking/asking about too.

3. Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't know how old it is but it's a fair age as its well established and maybe 20ft tall.

I'm happy to water extensively around the tree is that will help it out.

I have no idea how the compost will affect the tree, any thoughts anyone ?? I hadn't realised the ericaceous compost could be detrimental to other plants in the vicinity.

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Personally I think ericaceous compost will cause no problem at all to a cherry tree, because I think they are related to Blackthorn, which doesn't care one bit about slightly acid soil, but it is worth knowing. Some plants like alkaline soil, and ericaceous compost being mildly acidic will change the pH, possibly to the detriment of nearby plants.

Much more likely though, I'd expect your ericaceous compost to quickly mingle with the surrounding soil (movement of water, plus earthworms, bugs, plant roots etc will mix it all up over time), and stop being ericaceous. Especially if you water copiously with tap water (if you live in a hard water area).

What about sinking a container instead of going for open soil? Then you have much greater control of conditions for the azalea.

5. Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    What will happen to the azalea as the soil mingles with its surroundings ??

It is very potbound in it's current pot. Will sinking it in a container not just lead to the same issue down the line.

I definitely want to know if it's ok to dig through a few more of the tree roots to clear the space.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Are you on acid soil? (other gardens nearby have Azaleas / Rhododendrons / Camellias ?) If not your Azalea won't be happy planted in the open ground. Otherwise I think it will be fine - the tree will be happy with a relativey small hole being made amongst its roots - try to avoid any big roots if possible

7. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I may be wrong, but one thing to consider if you are severing tree roots is: balance.

If you slice too many on one side, it is possible to destabilise the tree. Come strong winds in the right direction and .... either the tree will lean or worse, uproot. Much depends on how big the hole is you are digging and how much root you are taking out.

Another thing to consider is: the roots may grow back