Dipladenia Sundaville

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by gcc3663, Mar 6, 2012.

1. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Has anyone grown Dipladenia (aka Mandavilla) Sundaville in the North.
    Are there issues with growing.
    I believe they need to be brought in for the Winter, so presumably preferred to be grown in Pots.

Cheers in advance for any help

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,635
    Yes I've grown it, not very well though.

I found it tricky, but managed cuttings OK.

Not hardy, but OK outside in summer.
    Other than that I cant help much, sorry.

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Must be grown in pots, as they are indeed tender.
    They need plenty of light to bloom, and also a reasonable amount of humidity too. When in growth don't allow them to dry out, and water by giving them a good soak in tepid water, or at the very least water that has been allowed to warm up to the ambient temperature (apparently using cool water direct from the tap can hold back flowering - this was related to me, not gathered from my own experience).
    Potting medium should be fairly airy - add grit, and/or perlite.
    The major issue that I've had with them is red spider mite.

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +51,280
    Now this is very strange. This afternoon, about 3.30ish, I saw this post and started to respond to it. I went over to PB to get a photo and came back here and there was no such post. In the meantime I have spoken to gcc who says he cannot find his post either so we have been 'sitting and waiting' and here Pete comes along who found it ... whey hey!

I will now say what I was saying this afternoon ...

This is very strange as I went to the garden center today and actually bought a Dipladena 'Sundaville' in a 14cm pot (heaving trying to get out) full of buds and 50cm tall for €6.90. I have had Mandevilleas for years and only ever bought the 'Red' as they tend to be bushier rather than climbers, although I have one that climbs up through my Hibbertia scandens (Snake Vine) and is already climbing this year. I have had them all since the spring of 2008.

Here is what I bought today ...

[​IMG]

... and here is one taken in August 2008 and is still alive in that little pot on the pedestal ...

[​IMG]

... and one that still lives in a concrete pot under a Thevetia peruviana ...

[​IMG]

I love them but cannot advise you as my climate is so different ... they survive 'light' frosts here for a day or two but not ground frosts.

They are lovely and good luck if you try one.

PS Just saw longk's post. Must say mine are all in mostly shade under Jacarandas and such like so don't get the heat of the midday sun. The one I bought today is in midday sun and I just plopped it in that tatty clay pot to photograph for you but intend it to clamber around the trellis. I will let you know how it goes in direct sun all of the day ... currently we are running 18-22c days and 8-10c nights.

5. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Thanks for the replies all.
    It sounds like I'll have to persuade OH to go for something else. If it's tender in Kent & Oxford, it's going to love Northumberland.
    If OH wins I'll report back if it survives.:th scifD36:

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I think they are lovely, but lost two last winter. I tried to overwinter them in a frost free greenhouse, but have subsequently read that they need to be warmer than that. Though Victoria experience doesn't support that idea.