1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

dividing crocosmia

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by barneyb, Feb 16, 2007.

1. barneyb

barneyb Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone help please-I have 2 large clumps of crocosmia and want to divide them into 4 or 5 smaller clumps. I've read that I can do this but don't know how -sorry to sound stupid but can I just split each clump with a spade or is there more to it than that, also is it ok to do it now. Any advice much appreciated, thanks [​IMG]

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,886
    Hi barneyb.I usually do mine in (end feb-begin-march)You can use two garden forks back to back,
    I dig down with a fork to about 30cm(12ins)deep
    taking care not to damage the corms.I then prise them apart,The corms are linked like a chain,cut the old leaves off down to a clump,remove any diseased corms,Some people seperate the corms and replant them.I just use the divided clumps.
    Good luck

[​IMG]

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi barneyb. Crocosmia is a great survivor. I think you could use anything - chain-saw, ax, JCB, and they would still thrive.

I understand that each year they produce a new corm on top of the old one to produce the chain that wiseoldowl mentioned. Does this mean that by counting the number of corms in the chain it tells you how old the plant is - like tree rings? And are the older lower corms still viable if you break them off and plant them up seperately? And what are these older lower corms doing all summer, a long chain of corms doesn't seem to produce a bigger better plant after about the first year - or does it?

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I have moved crocosmia and have now got them everywhere - just when you think you have moved them to a different place, corms that were overlooked at the bottom of the chain regrow in the original position.

5. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,886
    Hi PeterS
    There are some schools of thought that say the youger corms take some of the vigour from the older ones if left on(but I allways leave mine on ,just a personal preference).
    I know that (lucifer,and Jackanapes)Which I have
    grow underground shoots called (stolons) which you can cut off and will grow into fine new plants(i have never tried this as I find mine are invasive enough.I usually divide mine about
    every 2/3 years.Good luck [​IMG]

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    LOL - I got my crocosmia from a guy who started my garden off for me. He had been to another client about 3-4 days before and pulled up heaps of the stuff she didn't want and hadn't yet got around to taking them to the dump. As I was just starting with my garden, he asked if I'd like some. I jumped at the chance. So they were dumped at the bottom of my garden where I just threw some spare soil over them to stop the drying out. I planted them eventually and then replanted them elsewhere. Each time without looking up any 'how to's'. I just yanked them out and stuck them in again.

Right now - 7 years on - I am now looking to pull some up and chuck them on the compost .... anybody want some nice corcosmia corms?

7. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with peters. I have a boundary full of the blighters. they have been dug out, cut down, sprayed with very strong weedkiller, neat! and they still come. They are classed as a weed in my area by some of my customers and infact, down by the coast,the rabbits love the new shoots, and that still doesnt kill them. I hate them nearly as much as i hate dock. But dock is controllable compared to crocs.
    MMD...........No ta! got 30' x 3' of the little gits.

8. barneyb

barneyb Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone, if the rain ever stops I'll get digging- Will let you know how it goes though from sound of it even I won't be able to kill them by accident! [​IMG]

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Like Compostee, no thanks, MMD! Got some of Blackthorn's!! :D

I like them very much, particularly Lucifer - but I' like to keep space in my garden for a few other plants too! :rolleyes: