1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY houseplant potting mix

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by lowrider69, Jun 17, 2021.

1. lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hi Guys up to now I been using multi compost for my indoor plants but to be honest they dont do that well.
    Can someone recommend a good compost to use and if not how to mix up my own DIY blend??

Thanks for any advice :)

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Depends on the plant really.
    But I find some sharp sand often helps with the drainage for houseplants that don't like staying wet for a long time, which is what most seem to die of.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,206
      Yes, sharp sand or Perlite mixed in at about 3 of compost to 1 of perlite or sand will make things much more free draining, but then you need to pay more attention to the plants in the hot weather or they can dry out too fast !

Much better if you can say what plants you are growing and what brand of compost, peat or peat free , you are using and what the problems are, as it could be light, heat , watering or things like red spider mite which readily affect some houseplants.
      Pictures often help.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1