1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Mini Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Darren2993, May 19, 2020.

1. Darren2993

Darren2993 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

Relatively new member here who started off with a propagator, which lead to a cold frame, which has lead to a mini greenhouse.... downward spiral I feel!

I made a DIY greenhouse using an old display cabinet which I’m rather proud off but I font know if it’s ‘working’.

There is no back to this lean too style greenhouse, so it’s not trapping enough heat in, its in the wrong location, currently against shed facing north but running west-east or I’m being impatient...

Would be grateful for some suggestion especially with regards to if it’s needs a back or if the shed is sufficient?

Thanks everyone!

D9901024-6403-47FF-B6EF-B23964554EE7.jpeg 99AC8D2D-3F15-4179-B38C-621E699CD7F2.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,623
      Hello Darren,

I'm impressed - looks good - and will have saved you a few quid over buying a new greenhouse.

Greenhouses - really there for shelter from wind/bugs/bad weather - not so much to maintain an increased temperature - that's what hot houses are for - so what you have will do the job.

Perhaps some plastic (bin bags) and some drawing pins - if the open back bothers you - but I would have thought that against a shed would be fine. Black bin bags will draw in the heat - but you will still need ventilation.

Remember that not all seeds are planted at the same time and that they do not all develop at the same rate. Some will grow like billy-o, whilst others at a more leisurely rate. I have found that perennials are more difficult to start and take a longer time to grow - I suppose because they don't have to go through an entire growing cycle in one year.

Be patient - your seedlings will grow - and once they start - you'll be surprised how quickly.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Darren2993

Ratings:
        +6
        Hi all, long time no post but the bug has well and truly caught!

I now have a lean to greenhouse which is attached to my shed however the shed roof pitch is slightly lower than the ridge of the greenhouse. This means the water runs off into the greenhouse when it rains. I tried to seal it using gutter sealant but I fear that because the gap is slightly to wide it won’t work.
        I have considered raising the roof so that is overruns the greenhouse but not sure how..

Any smart ideas?
        62E708F7-01E8-4F27-9B2D-39D96BE56DCE.jpeg
        A5AF52BE-0516-4269-9EF5-4C3C362F548B.jpeg
        Thanks

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,994
        Add a fillet where the shed roof meets the greenhouse, a fillet is a triangular piece of timber, roofing merchants will supply or if you are handy cut to size yourself. The fillet must have a fall , so you need a spirit level to establish the horizontal distance so that rain runs down the roof then over the fillet onto the greenhouse roof. The fillet needs to go underneath the existing felt and slip an extra felt piece underneath to overlap the gap as necessary OR recover the whole roof to ensure water tightness.
        Fillet in red outline:
        62E708F7-01E8-4F27-9B2D-39D96BE56DCE.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Darren2993

Ratings:
          +6
          Hi JWK,

thanks for the quick response and that’s brilliant!

one last question, does the roof felt then over hang the greenhouse ridge or should this gap then get filled with a mastic?

thanks

• JWK

Ratings:
          +45,994
          Best to hang the roof felt over the gap, that will allow for movement.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +45,994
          You could mastic the gap first, belt and braces.

• Darren2993

Ratings:
          +6
          Hi all,

thanks again for the previous response and this has done the trick!

what essential equipment is recommended for a beginner greenhouse grower?

At the moment I have just some staging, I am getting a thermometer too.

Are heat mats better than heated propogator?

Thanks

• JWK

Ratings:
          +45,994
          You probably won't use a heat mat till next spring, I have never used one but I do have a heated propagator, I have packed mine away till next year.

I would get an auto vent and think about how to water your plants, in the height of summer some things like tomatoes need watering twice a day. I have porous hosepipe laid around my greenhouse beds on a water controller timer, saves a lot of time plus it looks after itself if you go away for a few days.

• Like Like x 1
          • Darren2993

Ratings:
            +6
            Evening all,

Wasn’t sure to revive an old thread or start new… what temperature should the greenhouse be kept at as a minimum? I have read 5 degrees and also 10 degrees?

Seed starting purposes most packets say to sow from 15 degrees, surely I don’t heat the whole greenhouse to 15 deg. this is where heat mats/heated propagators come into it? Would heated propagator or heat mats with propagator sat on top be better?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +45,994
              It all depends on what type of seed you are sowing. It's easy to get some seed to germinate but light levels are too low over winter even if you heat your greenhouse.

• Like Like x 1
              • Darren2993

Ratings:
                +6
                Hi JWK,

Apologies no intention for overwinter but more general terms for next year say feb/mar/apr time when starting to sow seeds.

Mainly veg seeds for allotment with toms and aubergines for keeping in the greenhouse.

• Like Like x 2
                • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
                  Ratings:
                  +774
                  I think a south facing windowsill in the house has worked well for me as a place to germinate seeds. I just have a polytunnel rather than a well kept greenhouse so as well as being cold in winter it is sometimes visited by slugs, snails or birds that might make a snack out of very young seedlings. I've moved an old table in front of the window when I needed more space but I think some people use shelves in front of a suitable house window and that could work out much cheaper than having a heated greenhouse.

Happy gardening!

• Like Like x 2
                  • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                    Ratings:
                    +21,225
                    I start many seeds off in the garage on a heated tray, with LED growlights.
                    The seeds are sown in either pots or seedtrays and these are covered with plastic lids.
                    Vegetable seeds, peas, beans, carrots, beetroot etc and hardy annuals get started off in the cold greenhouse in modules.
                    Some people use the airing cupboard to get seeds germinated and then move to a well lit windowsill. If you can set up an aluminium reflector (foil stuck to a suitable bit of cardboard) behind the seeds you can significantly increase the light levels. On cold nights you might consider moving the more tender seeds off the windowsill and then putting them back next morning.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                      +7,630
                      Off topic, I was glad to see this thread to resurface, and was half expecting to see Darren to have been lately busy building something like this :heehee:

upload_2021-10-12_18-54-55.jpeg

Great DIY @Darren2993 , and just give in to the bug :biggrin:

Regarding getting some flexibility to seed sowing, I can warmly recommend grow lights in the house. Nowadays they are cheap-ish, unobtrusive enough to be in the living room, and really do make a difference with seed that are best to be started early in the year when natural light is not yet enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Like Like x 1