1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Pollytunnel

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by lazydog, Jul 1, 2011.

1. lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
    Ratings:
    +641
  2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    DIY as per link - I think it might be a good idea to schedule the materials required and check out the pricing because:

For a 4m x 2m poly tunnel 20m of tube would be required (four 5m lengths). Googling "50mm blue MDPE water pipe" gives this as one of the results - MDPE Water Pipe 50mm x 25m Blue - New Atlantic - who charge £94.95 for a 25m roll, so much for "does not cost a great deal, so I am told".

47 X 47mm timber is £1.05m at Treated Timber Price List - Chiltern Timber Price Lists - Chiltern Timber Supplies so 10 feet/3.048m would cost £3.84 incl VAT, not £2.50

Same supplier as above charges "Tile Batten 25 x 50mm x 3.6m @ £1.98 + vat each" which is 66p/metre, so 5m metres would cost £3.30, not "£1.50 for a 5m length".

Assuming it would require a sheet approx 6 x 9m to cover a 4 x 2 x 2m high tunnel, buying from Polytunnel polythene greenhouse cover 7.3m & 9.2m wide | eBay UK it would cost £60.40 incl P&P (for the lighter grade sheet).

And then there's the screws, plus having to scrounge six 5 foot lengths of scaffold tube cut to length. Don't forget the cost of a metal cutting disc if you're cutting them, plus you''ll need a sledgehammer.

I looked at the cost of DIY before buying a cheap 4 x 2m tunnel from eBay and dismissed it because of both the cost and work involved.

N.B. I don't see any vents in that DIY design, but with a ready made tunnel you'll get 6 mesh vents with velcro roll-up covers. When I've left these closed in hot weather (but cold overnight) and not gone to open them until after breakfast the temperature inside has been 100 deg F.

As for that £94.99 4 x 2m tunnel from eBay in your link, there is one being auctioned at the moment that's up to £58 +£9.99 P&P with about 15 mins to go which might be cheaper than that £94.99 incl P&P buy it now if you're quick http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-2m-Po...den_Structures_Fencing_CV&hash=item48410cad73

EDIT: It was won with a bid of £60.01 + £9.99 P&P, so somebody got it £24.99 cheaper than the buy it now one in your link and a fraction of the cost of a DIY tunnel.

3. lazydog

waiting to win the Lotto
    Ratings:
    +641
    I have already got the poly pipe but agree with the rest the ebay link had expired but have found another couple same spec.!
    Think i have decided to ready built and when the time comes to replace cover i will decide next move then!
    Poly pipe will come in for fruit cage and small netted covers over sprouts etc..

4. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I believe new tunnels are being put up for auction by the same seller shortly after bidding has finished, so there could be another to bid on tomorrow. As for when the covers need replacing, this seller has been regularly selling covers separately. The 4 x 2 is a relatively new size, but to give an indication of costs, I think 4.5 x 2 covers are going for £30 incl P&P at the moment.

EDIT: and here it is already http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-2m-Po...den_Structures_Fencing_CV&hash=item48410f48c9

5. lazydog

waiting to win the Lotto
    Ratings:
    +641
    Sorted, been bidding on a couple but gave up on my last bid prepared to go £78 and was not quick enough so just went for the buy it now option by the time i added postage what is a tenner now adays should be here by the end of the week!
    Just got to wait for red and black currents to finish and hibernate and then i can move them or i could work around them :scratch::yess::happydance:must stay of the wine next weekend as i might have a bit of work to do!!

6. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    The DIY tunnel in the first post above has been knocking around for a number of years now, it was published I think before the raft of cheaper tunnels we have available today came up for sale. My point being here that it was a cheap solution at first, and still is if your resourceful or lucky enough to get hold of the materials very cheap or for nothing.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1