1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

"DIY TomTato - Grafting Tomatoes onto Potatoes 2014"

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Trunky, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Neither is the Andrex Corporation [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,186
        You're way ahead of me Loli, I am only just thinking about kick starting my seed tubers (they are being held back in a cool room right now).

I wonder if they might need to be constantly misted until the grafts take, maybe cover with a poly box to keep the humidity up?

• Like Like x 1
        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          That's the bit I'm most concerned with John...They're in the GH and I've made a makeshift tent,it's the temperature too,I can see it fluctuating quite a bit in there so will have to keep an eye on it...but it's all trial and error:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
          • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I'm having a go at growing Tomtatos and still not certain the grafts have taken yet but looking OK so far,my question is...the potatoes are growing lots of 'side shoots' from beneath the grafts would there be any detriment to the potatoes if I removed more of the foliage?

TIA:blue thumb:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,596
            I used to always chop off about half the foliage off my potatoes, thinking that was the correct procedure, until one day my dad saw me doing it and asked me where I got that idea from and pointed out that it was silly:) I always got a decent crop though so it can't have done any harm.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Thanks for that Clueless:blue thumb: I want to give the grafts more space but wasn't sure if I'd be sacrificing the potato crop by doing so:blue thumb:

• JWK

Ratings:
              +46,186
              I think you must chop off the potato foliage otherwise it will take over and the tomato scions won't develop.

I'd like to see some photos when you get chance Loli.

I still haven't grafted mine, the tomatoes are getting big but my potatoes haven't sprouted yet, I think I've messed up with my timing completely.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                I'll take some pic @JWK:blue thumb: ...they're not looking great and a couple definitely look like goners but the best looking so far are the Manx Marvel scions but I don't know if they're just kidding me because they are such strong looking Tomatoes in the first place:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                • JWK

Ratings:
                  +46,186
                  Where are you going to plant yours Loli? I hope to get at least two Tomtatoes and try one in the greenhouse and the other outside.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Mine are going outside John,I've done 4 potatoes (Roosters) with 3 grafts on 3 of them and 2 on the other one,a mixture of Golden Sunrise,Chocolate Cherry,gardeners Delight and Manx Marvel,I had a vision of 3 different colours on one potato...talk about over ambitious:rolleyespink::biggrin: I've still got 2 more potatoes to experiment with so I'll be having a go at those this weekend,might try a big tomato:thumbsup:

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                    Ratings:
                    +31,954
                    Wacthing thread, i've never heard was this before, two crops from one plant, i like it, must learn how to do it :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
                    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      @Jiffy ...it's a bit of a novelty really but it could be handy for anyone wanting to grow a few edibles and don't have the space. I have this vision of a mini veg patch in one 'pot':rolleyespink:...There's nothing to say they've taken yet but they seem to be hanging in there:fingers crossed: I'll post some pics in a bit...Ofcourse you can just buy the 'Tomtatoes' but there's no fun in that or the price £14.99:nonofinger:

• Like Like x 2
                      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                        +0
                        I'm still standing by with the first aid kit and the toilet paper [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
                        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          I've removed all the potato leaves today:blue thumb:...

They do tend to look worse before they get better but I think they're doing OK so far:fingers crossed:

Day 18...
                          P1030842.JPG
                          P1030843.JPG P1030844.JPG
                          P1030845.JPG

• Like Like x 5
                          • Informative Informative x 5