1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY TomTato Grafting Tomatoes onto Potatoes 2015

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Mar 18, 2015.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    I tried grafting Abergines/Tomatoes a few years ago but the other way around, I grafted Tomatoes onto Black Beauty Aubergine because I had read it might be a cheap way of getting vigorous rootstock, this did not turn out well, although the grafting was straight-forward the scion tomato rapidly outgrew Aubergine rootstock. Here you can see the difference in size of the rootstock and scion (when I made the graft they were identical diameters):

[​IMG]

I've got some Estamino tomato rootstock this year so will be going back to normal tomato grafting. I'll be posting on the Tomato Grafting Thread from now on:

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/tomato-grafting.50020/

It's a muddy mess down my allotment too, too wet to do anything except harvest the winter crops.

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    @JWK How were the potato yields compared to 'normal' potato plants?

I've come across an (old) thread on the internet speculating that grafting a variety of tomato capable of growing into a very large plant, much larger than potato haulms, and removing all the tomatoes plus letting all the sideshoots grow, might produce a larger potato (grown for heaviest potato class with all but one potato removed from underneath).

3. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Extremely variable and always worse. King Eds and Cara gave me about 2kg of potatoes per root - I guess around half of my yield of 'normal' non-grafted potatoes in the allotment. Worst was Pink Fir Apple, I only got a handful of tiny spuds compared to my 'normal' non-grafted plants which had an extraordinary yield of massive tubers.

I suppose that's possible, my TomTatoes were massive plants much stronger looking and taller than non-grafted plants growing alongside. Maybe if this was done outside and a careful eye kept on watering might give a decent yield. The big problem is that tomatoes are basically tender tropical plants needing heat and moderate watering whereas potatoes are tougher plants that dislike the heat of the greenhouse and need much more watering.

4. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I was thinking of the tomato plants on top being a bit bigger than would be suitable for in a greenhouse:

[​IMG]

I've got the book detailing how to grow them like that, but have never bothered as it seemed a lot more work than simply growing a few more 6 - 7 foot high plants, but never thought of using it in conjunction with grafting onto spuds before.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  5. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Those are pretty big plants, that can't be the UK - unless it's a very sheltered location.