1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Does grass need watering even during winter?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by hedgefog, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    I got one of those sprinklers, well similar not the same.
    It works wonders. It was a great fun to watch working :)
    Waiting for the spring and summer now.

2. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Winter Watering.
    Trying to wash and deliver the feeds nutrients to the grass roots. :)

3. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    There is absolutely no need for this. It’s a waste of water and will create a muddy lawn. You speak of winter lawn feeding. What are you feeding? Some people use an autumn feed of P and K but it is rather late now. Nitrogen is not included in an autumn feed. Watering it in at this time of year will only increase nutrients in our watercourses due to runoff contributing to water quality deterioration. Do your research.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
      +69
      It has not created muddy lawn. The water has gone down to the ground, and it is dry. I would have thought it would create muddy lawn, if your soil was largely made of mud or compacted. Mine is mostly top soil, been aerated, and water goes down into the soil readily.

If you care to read my posts, I don't water regularly in this time of the year.

This winter, I watered after feeding first time in history of my gardening, because feeds were just sitting on the grass not going into the soil.

I was just wondering if anyone has watered in this time of year, because temperature is mild and grass is still growing. From majority of replies, I see no one is. OK fine.

Looking into weather forecast, there will be no rain in next fortnight in my area. If there were no rain at all for a month, weather was dry and mild, maybe it is not a bad idea to water on the grass. Just a thought.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Water away you'll have a wonderful paddy field:) in no time along with vast quantities of moss.. What do we lot know who are advising you there is absolutely no need to water grass in winter or any time of the year unless there is a serious drought? Perhaps combined about 250 years of gardening experience. I will leave it to others to try and advise you in the future. Good luck with you aquatic garden:).

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
        +428
        Grass is extremely tough stuff. It will survive a month in the middle of winter with no rain. My neighbours survived two months of extreme heat in the middle of summer without being watered.

Are you one of the lawn obsessives that trim the edges with nail scissors?

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Should look like this by spring :snorky:
        I would heed the advice of years of experience on here , it's up to you . :redface:

659340720-weeding-bending-paddy-field-cultivation-of-rice.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,077
          If your grass is dry?
          Try sitting on it for 10 minutes, you will have a wet bum,:biggrin: it might appear dryish but its probably pretty damp at this time of the year just by dew alone, let alone any rain.

Anyway the roots will be a good few inches below the surface, so even if the top happens to be dry and crusty, three inches down it will be pretty damp.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            You are simply making unrequired work for yourself hedgefog by watering over winter. Relax and forget it. Come spring you can feed your lawn and water it in; thereafter water only when necessary :)

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
            +69
            The sprinkler is connected to outside tap, and I just flick the valve on from under the sink, water goes out to the sprinkler. I don't have to do anything but just enjoy the view from the kitchen through the window. :) Honestly it is not work for me at all.

The grass looks far greener healthier than ever before. With the organic feeds on the surface of the grass, it did smell, and the watering washed it off too getting rid of all the stench. :D

If grass is still growing due to mild temperature even in winter time, and trying recover from poor state, then good feed followed by water sprinkling seem good idea from my experience. :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
          • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
            +69

Maybe your lawn is made of clay? Water just sips into the soil disappearing into the lawn in our garden.

Today I went out to the lawn, and it is dry as wanting more water. OK we get rain often during the winter, it is often not enough. Mostly it is just spiting rain. If grass is growing, surely it will want more water.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            You dont want to produce lush grass in winter hedgefog.....lush winter grass is soft and susceptible to diseases and pests esp when winter gets seriously cold.
            Many feed their grass in autumn...with a low nitrogen feed designed for root growth but not top growth.....but I do not. Hard grown turf over winter and then fed in spring is the way to a good lawn in my opinion :)

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            If you want to water it , water it. This is really a poor attempt at a wind up / trolling . Have a lovely rather soggy Christmas :snorky:

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
              +428
              That was so poor it's taken two pages to work it out! Well done, Hedgefog. You strung us along nicely.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,624
                OK for clarity, if anyone thinks someone is trolling, please report it and let the staff team decide - please do not accuse others of trolling.

Now, in the words of Mr P Pig....

Thhh Thhh Thhhha

ThatsAllFolks.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
                Thread Status:
                Not open for further replies.