1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Does my fig tree look ok?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Engelbert, May 10, 2016.

1. Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all

Recently bought a fig tree... I'm new to all of this and accepted that the tree was just as it should be. Until I went to Lidl the other day and saw fig trees for sale there which looked far more ... err ... substantial and alive!

Mine is a 'Brown Turkey'.

Here are a couple of photos:

IMG_0383.JPG IMG_0384.JPG

Many thanks

Max

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks ok to me Max :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,817
      fine and dandy, just young

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,046
      Yep looks ok, just a bit leggy, depends on how you intend growing it?

• Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      Hi

Sorry to come back to this so late. Thanks for the replies :)

I'm glad it's looking ok. Nothing has changed much since I posted. I must admit that I thought it would have a bit more going on than four leaves! Is this likely to change this summer and if so how much growth should I expect this summer?

I'm not sure to be honest.... In whatever way results in the most fruit! I've heard that they need to be well protected and covered in winter and so am thinking that I'll grow in a large pot and move it indoors (or into a greenhouse) during the colder months.

One more question.... I need to pot it up.... Should I pot it into it's final pot now or an "inbetween" size, and what size pot would be best (OK, that was two questions... :)!).

Many thanks

Max

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,046
      I must admit I'm not keen on the legginess, it needs a few shoots lower down.

I'd be inclined to put it into a pot a couple of inches bigger, not too big, in a soil based compost, like JI no 3, mixed with a 25% sharp sand.

Then I'd try bending the shoot down, be careful not to snap it, but if you can get it horizontal all well and good.
      Hopefully this might encourage it to shoot lower down the stem, without having to do some drastic pruning.:smile:

Brown turkey is pretty hardy, never ever protected mine, but in a pot best to err on the side of safety and put under cover if we were to get severe frost.

• Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      Thanks pete, that's all very helpful. It's the first fig I've had and I'm a novice gardener so wasn't sure what to expect really. I'm left wondering why the nursery sold it/"pruned" it (?) like this. I hoped that they might have done it to for some unknown reason to help the plant further down the line. But maybe not....

So is your Brown Turkey in the ground? And you leave it unprotected throughout winters?

Cheers

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,046
      Yes mine are in the ground and basically small trees.
      Once established it will take minus 12C for short periods, normal lows of minus 5c doesn't bother it at all.

I got a feeling it just grew like that, rather than it was pruned that way.
      They grow pretty fast when happy.