Dwarf french beans and tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Welshman, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Welshman

Welshman Gardener

Ratings:
    +514
    I got these growing together, what else could i grow with these that would keep the pests away from them

thanks

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,951
    Any particular pests and how much space have you got?
    The obvious one is Tagetes, if the slugs will let these grow.
    Even outside I find tomatoes are pretty pest free in my garden, dwarf beans can get black fly and I either wash off when watering or squish.

3. Welshman

Welshman Gardener

Ratings:
    +514
    Well luckily for me i have zero issues with slugs and snails…….400mm raised beds surrounded by gravel helps there.

but something is nibbling my french bean plants, 4 out of 6 are ok, but the two end ones have been nibbled away by something…..tomatoes are ok, but they are growing next to the beans. So wanted something that would grow with both….onions or chives maybe, just at the front of the growing bed….

bed is 2.4mtrs long and 600mm wide…..beans and toms are growing at the back of these beds, with string lines connected to the fence to grow up.

4. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    If you mean the beans themselves, slugs tend to take messy grooves out of them, rabbits nibble the ends off with a sharp edge.

Rabbits bite through stems removing whole leaves/plants. Slugs tend to take chunks out of leaves, unless it's small then it might eat through the main stem, but leaving lots of plant uneaten.

If pigeons have taken a liking to them they will tear chunks out of the leaves.

Snails have no problems crossing a gravel margin and climbing up our brick walls up to both our high level hanging baskets and the first floor window boxes to snack on the plants in them.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021