1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Fruit Trees Dead?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by AndyS, Jun 3, 2013.

1. AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
    +50
    Hi,

I recently bought some mini fruit trees - one of each variety from the 5 types listed in the top 2 links here: http://www.vanmeuwen.com/fruit-and-vegetables/fruit-trees/mini-fruit-trees

I planted them out as soon as they arrived in mid-April. I thought at the time that they didn't exactly look full of vim and vigour, but I know that trees often don't until leaves start to appear. However, they've now been in the ground for a few weeks and only the Golden Delicious and Doyenne du Comice are looking healthy. From the photos attached (sorry about poor quality) would you say that they are lifeless, or am I just being impatient? I've included pics of the plum and cherry, with the healthy Golden Delicious as a contrast.
    All were planted at the same time, in a mix of good compost and topsoil, with organic rootgrow sprinkled into the planting area. They are all in pots or beds in the same area (so get equal light, wind etc) and have been watered regularly but not fed since planting.
    Thanks. Tree.jpg Tree3.jpg Tree2.jpg

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,192
    Andy, I think it is too soon to seek a refund yet but keep your pictures and take some more in a month's time. If no sign of leaf emergence, I would email them your photos and request replacements for the failures - or a refund.
    Hope you kept the paperwork that was in with the plants,
    Jenny

• Agree Agree x 1
    • AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
      +50
      Thanks for the advice, Jenny. From what you say it sounds like there might be hope for them yet?

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,192
      A spell of :SUNsmile: warmth around their roots should help,
      hope so,
      Jenny

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      I bought some fruit trees last year (single stem things) and others the year before. Mine were put into the ground and the first year they didn't really *do* anything (hence adding more last year - which also didn't seem to *do* anything).

This year: :wow: I've had lots of blossom and there are signs I will have some luscious fruit :dancy:

I put it down to the fact that initially, they were sulking. Even last year, the one's planted the previous year were definitely sulking and didn't want to come out to play. :nonofinger: After settling (and the wonderful rainfall last Autumn and since) they all seem to have leap up with the sheer joy of life. :yes:

That's my limited experience and so the advice I will offer is: keep them watered and exercise patience. It's too late for them to blossom, so leaf growth is the best you will probably get this year anyway; let them have their "resettlement sulk" (remember also, this year the seasons are slow to get going!) and I think you should be ok for next year :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,839
        Strip back a bit of bark to see what's underneath, it will soon tell you if they're dead or not.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        But start at the top if you are going to strip a bit of bark back, not at the bottom!

Last year I queried one of my apple trees and was given the same advice re: strip bark.
        I did, at the top, and *that* part was indeed dead. However, much lower down there was a tiny sign of life ... this Spring it has a good healthy number of leaves sprouting once again from the lowest part.

• AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
        +50
        Thanks for your advice. My main concern is the lack of leaves to be honest - I wasn't expecting much in the way of blossom, and certainly not fruit, this year, but the fact that 2 trees
        are already very leafy and 3 have not a single leaf between them is what is worrying me - surely if 2 are leafy from top to bottom then the others should have at least the beginnings of green buds if they're alive?

Forgive my ignorance, but to do this should I be taking a stanley type knife and slicing a small section of bark vertically downwards? And looking for what, signs of green/sap?

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        I used my thumb nail. If it is beyond all hope, it will be dry and brown; if it has any life in it, beneath the bark will still be soft and green :)

• AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
        +50
        What do you think of these? I'm colour blind but only the first one looks moist and green to me....still no leaf or growth on any of the three 'problem' trees.

Attached Files:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,193
        The first two look dead, the last one has some green and might still be alive.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
          +50
          Just spoke to the company and sent them pics and they agreed to replace the 3 dead 'uns, no quibbles. So 'props to Van Meuwen', as the yout dem say.

• Like Like x 1