1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

dwarf pillar fruit tree

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Gizmo, May 15, 2021.

1. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    It's free fertilizer :heehee:

Our cats always dig where the earth is softest, so we usually find then around our garlic patch. But we don't mind and keeping a litter box clean is more work than washing our veggies (which is advisable anyway).

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
      +851
      Free fertiliser if you want it. But for us no thank you as we got so fed up with certain cats coming in and digging up what we have done so if you look at my other post called my garden you will see that we have netted over flower and veg boxes..
      We like cats but when you are walking in poo enough is enough so different things in garden to try and deter cats

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
        +851
        What advice would you give over cats damaging our new tree.. Totally fed up trying to make a nice garden then you get cats in destroying it again

Attached Files:

• Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,689
        Looking at the pic of your tree it looks like there was a branch damaged.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
          +851
          Hi yes they have damaged a branch so unsure what to do at the moment we have tried different deterants. Plants. Sonic noise. Scat mat even on fence. Smelly things. . It can be heart breaking when owners don't care what damaged cats can do and when you are trying to create a nice garden

• Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
          Ratings:
          +44,689
          I know we have trouble with cats but not damaging plants, they're interested in the birds.
          Someone told me that his son keeps his cat in the garden by putting upturned guttering all around, it will keep cats out as well.

• Like Like x 1
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +21,340
            Move the bird box from above the fruit tree.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +851
              Thanks for the reply. With the guttering idea not sure if I would have to take things down in order to put it up.. Its a shame the owners of the cats don't do anything in there garden for the cats and yet we are spending out to try and stop them it's unfair..

The idea of the bird box was to encourage nesting as its a camera box this is why we put a tree in front of nest box. The tree all though it is mature according to the people we bought it off it will grow appropriately 2 meters.. Would a tree guard help?

With neighbours with cats there are 2 upstairs. 6 cats opposite back door gate to the garden.. 8 cats over the fence where the veg and flower box is and its only there cats that come in.. Yes we have a bird feeding station in the garden so if we see a cat from over the fence we shoo it out and yet we are the ones getting moaned out by neighbours with 8 cats. They don't care
              We are. Trying to create a wildlife garden but no cats

Attached Files:

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
              Ratings:
              +54,374
              Sadly @Gizmo I don't think you'll ever stop cats from visiting your garden, we get rabbits, deer , foxes as well as cats that come from the houses that are right down the very end of our lane. They don't bother me as much as the dogs that are off their leads.....numerous times we get them pushing their way through our hedges then running around frantically trying to beat a hasty retreat when we shoo them away . Their owners are often way down our lane chatting to other people and are oblivious to what their dog is up too. In the summer we like to keep our doors open and many times we've had dogs run straight through our house!!
              They charge all over out borders and usually leave a trail of destruction behind them. When their owners finally catch up with them they act shocked and utterly surprised that their pooch has done such a thing....normally saying ' naughty boy/ girl...come along now' ....and off they go with their dog still running amok up the lane.
              It's a fact of life here that we've had to accept....We love our hedges and don't want brick walls or fencing...so that's the price we pay for making our garden wildlife friendly, only problem is our boundary hedging can't distinguish between which animals are allowed to enter!!!!!:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                +851
                It's strange that we don't see any other cat other than the ones who live over the fence.and yet we get moaned at by the owners who hunt through people's skips for anything.
                They said over 2 years ago about putting in a cat house. Not done they don't do alot to there garden we had put up weed control on ourside of fence due the amount of weeds coming through...etc
                I remember when I took rocco out in the back garden once went through back gate and come across a white cat inside bird feeding area all though cat was hissing etc at rocco our dog just sat there thinking what's your problem.
                Finally the cat got out and I chased it out of the garden and yet moaned at by owners..
                We are coming to the end of being nice and I will protect our garden in any way I can I did say about a plant called penny royal before this is what it's come down to.
                I know people won't agree. But we are so stressed up with the issue of owners who don't care

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                Ratings:
                +21,340
                It will be difficult to fit a tree guard to that tree as it appears to have growth from low down. Tree guards are to protect trunk from gnawing animals not climbing ones. You could net off that alcove as you have cages on either side.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                  +851
                  Thanks for your reply. So I can't a tree guard to height of the tree? I suppose to sun light?
                  I did think about netting over but how would you get at the peas in veg box which is at top right corner and bird nest box with out moving it. And if. It was netted like other boxes you would need a door to get in and out..
                  Unfortunately I am a person who sees problems before they start but thanks for your idea

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                  Ratings:
                  +21,340
                  Perhaps a frame with netting on it that you can plug in and out. Or hinged on one side and a catch on the opposite.
                  I suppose the question is why do the cats come into your garden? Identify the attraction; remove it and cats should be less of a problem.

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                  +851
                  these pessky cats have been coming in since we moved 3 yrs ago they lost 1 cat and they female had kittens then kittens had kittens but they are not kittens any more . with all the cats around us it is only these certain cats are coming in
                  our you thinking of a wooden frame as you said about hinged and catched .again more expense i said to my wife today that if the these cats take our fish then i will do something about them once and for all ..
                  sorry but i am so stressed about these certain cats and yet the owners dont care

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                  +851
                  i have managed to house the tree so cats wont get in to destroy

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1