1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dying Christmas Tree

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by RaulDuke, Sep 3, 2020.

1. RaulDuke

RaulDuke Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    69B95752-8C09-405F-9835-623122189410.jpeg Hi, first time posting on here so sorry if it’s in the wrong section!

I planted this Christmas tree (which I had in a pot outside last December) in the garden in February this year.

Until the last few weeks it’s been thriving and doing really well. It seems very solid like the roots have taken and it was a very nice green colour. It hasn’t grown in height much, but I didn’t expect it to in its first year.

Just recently I’ve noticed needles browning. First at the bottom and now near the top as well. I’ve read it can be caused by too much or too little water, but whether I leave it or water it it seems to make no difference.

I’d really appreciate any advice anyone might have.

Thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      I'm no expert on conifers but are you sure that the tree roots have grown?
      I've seen examples before where a trees roots continue to stay in the pot shaped ball and not venturing out into it's new location.
      When the tree was transplanted did you prepare the hole with a similar compost to the stuff in it's original pot?
      You could find that if it dies and you pull it up, that the roots never did actually spread because a) it was too compacted or
      b) because the soil around it was very different to it's original mix.
      Also through the very dry spring that we all had, i would have watered the tree thouroughly every evening.
      It's looking poorly so unless a real expert can advise you better I'm doubting it's chances sadly. Sorry if this is all bad news.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Often the cut down trees have the base plunged in boiling water, supposidly to slow down the shedding of the needles. Now doubt also, so that the tree won't survive. That way you will buy another one next year.

• Useful Useful x 2
        • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +7,681
          Hi @RaulDuke , welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid I must agree with @JR, the plant might be a goner. Often conifers look fine for a long time even when they are dead, and then finally turn brown and die. The fact that it hasn't put any new growth over the summer would suggest that this is indeed the case here.

But don't worry, a dead plant is just an excuse to buy something new :biggrin:

I'd suggest to gently lift it up to see what the roots are doing. If there is new growth, put it back in and water well. If the situation looks bad, you will have a good planting hole ready for something else.

IKEA has a great scheme, they sell living, potted Christmas trees and buy them back after Christmas. They are then re- planted in the growing field and sold again when they are back in potting up health. A brilliant scheme to get customers to visit twice (you get a voucher, not cash), and sounds as eco friendly as Christmas trees go.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • hans

hans Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +745
            Garden Centre may be one way to go at least from there it would be properly rooted. I can't see why you could not bring it in for Christmas but keep it away from radiators.

The one you have may not survive.