1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Echeveria

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Waco, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    mine looks very poorley, I have watered sparingly all winter and kept it in the house, but all the bottom leaves have gone yellow and the plant has started to grow up and not out in rosette.

Today I pulled all bottom yellow/dead leaves off which came off easily and found a couple of babies underneath.

Any ideas on how to help the poor thing?

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,514
    Waco, usually the stem growing up is due to poor light, growth would have slowed down now so you might have to wait for the spring or summer for the young ones to grow and even then they will not be big enough to remove untill the autumn, the parent plant might not form a proper rosette once it has started to grow from the stem, you'll have to wait and see. Keeping them on the dry side in winter is a must. [​IMG]

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,048
    Along with that I would add that really they need lower temperatures in winter than in the house, I have had certain types survive the winter outside here, so they are not plants for warm winters.
    I'd say keep it dryish and as cool as you can with full light, they are not easily killed, other than rotting.

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,048
    Come to think of it I have one doing something similar in my greenhouse I'll see if I can get a pic.

5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, a great help and I can start to see where my problems might have arisen.

It was supposed to be a hardy type, but I did not trust it, so I brought it in and put it by the south facing patio window - window side of the curtain so it was cold. I thought it may get too cool there so I brought it into a warmer darker position thinking it would help.

Looks like I will have to wait until Autumn then to see if it recovers.

Thanks to you both.

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,048
    Anything above freezing is OK.
    This is mine, its put up a very leafy flower stalk, its very different from the normal summer flowers.
    [​IMG]
    Is yours the same or is it growing from the centre of the rossete

7. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I think thats the same as mine pete - only yours looks really well!

not sure if it is the picture, but it has a lovely almost purple tint to it. I also notice that the rosette is on the slant, mine is growing straight up which I don't think has helped.

I could have put it in the stable until the greenhouse was finished, but it is not reliable above freezing, so I did not want to risk it.