1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible flowers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by westwales, Apr 13, 2015.

1. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    On a whim in January I bought a box of mixed seeds which all produce edible flowers. Sowing time is upon us and I now have to decide where to put them. I'm a bit concerned as I don't know what will be coming up a) whether I'll recognise the young plants b) whether I will be introducing some real thugs. So, I'm thinking of putting them in a controlled environment in the greenhouse to start with but as the box says better sown in situ I'm wondering whether I'll get the best from them if I need to transplant later. The alternative of course is to put them in the greenhouse in pots.

Any thoughts?

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Sow direct ... once they grow you will be able to identify them and if they are a bit of a brute, pull them out before they set seed :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
      Ratings:
      +598
      Was also thinking about grow bags?

• Creative Creative x 1
      • bexy13

bexy13 Stay calm and eat cucumber!

Student
        Ratings:
        +423
        i wouldn't put them in the growbags until they are tall enough (7-10cm) just to make sure they make it. I would then put only small plants in there otherwise if you plant tall ones you will need to stake them and since grow bags are very shallow you may struggle.