1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric cars.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pete, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,511
    Fair point, however with all of this renewable power and the need for storage beyond batteries there is no reason anything should be off the table? Just because we haven't done something to date, doesn't mean we shouldn't?

Again, accepted - however it is not impossible to work with and store; leak detection would be an issue for sure, but then surely if only on a relatively large scale? Amounts in the microscopic measurements would rapidly disappear in air. Could there be a compound of hydrogen that is safer to use in a fuel cell for example? No rule that says it has to be a combustion engine. Again, just because we haven't doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't.

Glyphosate, yes I do use very occasionally (very sparingly when I have exhausted all other avenues - having spent this weekend getting torn to bits hauling brambles out rather than hit them with weedkiller, I would say I am justified in saying sparingly. You may use used motor oil to paint your fences, but I wouldn't recommend it - I prefer a low VOC stain myself.

They did say in the article that it is battery technology overall and not just cars - mobile phones, tablets, PC's, almost everything has a battery in it nowadays; given the saturation of batteries in our lives, to have 5% as the 'best' we can do is pretty disgusting to be honest. Yes, I accept that there is almost certainly development to be done but now is the time it should be ramping up - - not when we get 10 years down the line and all of a sudden find ourselves awash with batteries. Even stationary storage will not use up all of those batteries at 70% capacity. We cannot laud something as being a green solution whilst at the same time kicking the environmental dangers and issues that come alongside it into the long grass.

• Like Like x 2
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,271
      People have developed fuel cells that run on methanol or ethanol. Safer than hydrogen, but not without problems, methanol typically comes from the chemical industry, ethanol either from the chemical industry or crops. Also require precious metal catalysts, though again less than some years ago.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,370
        40 years ago when I was in Brazil they were running their cars on ethanol made from sugar cane. They have changed that now to being able to run on ethanol or petrol and they're called FFV's (flex fuel vehicles) and I understand that 75% of cars are now in that category.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
          Ratings:
          +1,136
          @shiney
          True, but you need a lot of land to grow sugarcane in order to get the amount of ethanol needed. And sadly this goes hand in hand with the deforestation of the brazilian rainforest. So I wouldn't count that as a win.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +21,271
            I should add that as these fuel cells are effectively burning the methanol and ethanol they do produce carbon dioxide just as if they had been burnt in an internal combustion engine.

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,370
            Until 18 months ago there was a fairly rigid restriction on growing the cane in the rainforest so up until then there was a big plus for using it. That idiot Bolsonaro has now scrapped that law. The system is good but the implementation is bad.

When they originally started producing the cane for fuel they changed the use of fields and moved sugar cane to where the wheat fields were (it grows better in the lowlands) and the wheat was moved to the hillier areas where it could grow, but then they had the problem of travelling further to bring it to the mills. It was still a win for the environment.

If they kick out Bolsonaro I don't know whether they would be able to effectively bring the restrictions back in. :noidea:

• gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
            Ratings:
            +4,539
            Then throw into the mix qualified technicians, or should I say the lack of them. Auto Express reported that less than 1% of the UK's 240,000 technicians are qualified to work on electric and hybrid cars.

• Like Like x 2
            • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
              Ratings:
              +4,539
              How much water is needed though to extract Lithium? Its been reported that communities in the Salar de Atacama region are facing problems with water scarcity.

• shiney

Ratings:
              +118,370
              Although I agree that it's now a worse problem than it was they have always had a water problem there. Their main, almost only, income is from chemical extraction from the salt flats.

Some useless information:- Chemical extraction from the Atacama has been a major industry for 150 years. Around the 1870's the twin settlements of Humberstone and Santa Laura were built to extract saltpetre/nitrates from the desert and weren't closed down until the 1960's. This closure was only due to Germany producing artificial fertilisers. Humberstone still stands as a World Heritage Site.

The area used to be part of Peru until the War of the Pacific (known as the Saltpetre War or the Ten Cents War). There are some interesting stories about it. It was between Chile and the coalition of Peru and Bolivia. Bolivia started the war but never took part in it :rolleyespink:. The conflict lasted five years from 1879 but the final settlement wasn't until 50 years later.

Peru lost a lot of their land to Chile and the locals still refuse to call the desert in their country the Atacama Desert because that is what the Chileans call it! The Peruvians just call it The Desert.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
                Ratings:
                +1,136
                @shiney
                I fully agree. And there is a lot to be learnt from that. Nitrate from bird poop and resources from whaling are prime example where people exhausted resources that are only slowly regenerating and are thought to be endless within a short timespan until new technologies replaced them

Technology always changed the lives of people. And there were always those few that got the shorter end of the stick. To power a whole civilization (starting around 1900), dams had to be built and coal had to be mined which meant some villages had to be displaced. The modern version would be to have wind power generators right in front of your house.

At this very moment Tesla is building a giant Gigafactory in Grünheide, Germany. This is a region without any industry, high unemployment and declining population numbers because the young fled it asap. Now the old folks are protesting there because they fear more traffic, increasing prices for properties and their favourite dog walking routes being inaccessible.

Technical advancement ALWAYS has those that don't profit from it. This goes from mildly uncomfortable (looking at a new cellphone tower) to existentially threatening (heaters on a coal powered train/ship, manual weavers or fletchers facing the rise of handguns). But in the end technologies almost always made out lives better, and improvements in one field usually means some other fields profit as well.

• healthfreak101

healthfreak101 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                +4
                They should make electric cars with electronics that provide a fake but realistic engine noise as from a regular gas-driven automobile.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,370
                  Pre pandemic that had been discussed, briefly, in Parliament but got lost in the confusion over coronavirus. I still think it's a good idea.

• gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                  Ratings:
                  +4,539
                  I think its already law that all new electric cars have to be fitted with a sound system. Health and safety around the world have been concerned that electric cars are more likely to be, silent and deadly to pedestrians and cyclists. The new green cars of the future will have to emit noise to improve road safety.

New noise systems to stop ‘silent’ electric cars and improve safety - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Electric cars: New vehicles to emit noise to aid safety - BBC News

• Like Like x 2
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,370
                    I think the latest discussion was about whether to make sure the noise can't be switched off - which is allowed at the moment. Why they only limited up to 'speeds' :scratch: of 12 m.p.h. is beyond me. Why put in a safety device and then have it switch itself off? :rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 1
                    • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                      Ratings:
                      +4,539
                      • Funny Funny x 1