1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric/gas bll

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by liliana, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a one bedroom flat on the eighth floor ( there are twelve in total ). My energy is all electric and I have a pre-payment key meter with British Gas. I don't use the central heating, I have two halogen heaters and my water is only on for two hours every day, between 11pm and 01am.
    I pay £10 every week and I find that by doing this I mount up enough that during the winter I only have to add an extra £5 about once a month. I reckon for the entire year I spend about £550.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,090
      Have you guys tried gb energy? Seem "cheap" to me,about a25% saving for my low usage. Havent taken the plunge yet myself .

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,259
        Had an old back boiler replaced last year to a nice Worcester combi and then had a wood stove fitted to fill the chimney space.
        Gas bills dropped by 75% as the old boiler was just throwing the heat away.
        Wood stove gets used when it's cold and beats the horrible rads and the old Gas fire hands day. I've an open plan setup so the heat from the stove fills the house and it's lovely compared to what it was like.
        I don't shop around as my bills are so low it's just not worth it.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,485
          We're like some of the others. Although we try to be careful, we don't stint on what we want and make sure the place is warm all the time.

Our main heating and all our cooking and most of our hot water is by gas. We also have electric underfloor heating in the kitchen and bathroom. The summerhouse has electric underfloor heating and the greenhouse has an electric propagator.

All forms of heating are kept on permanently and are controlled by thermostats. Night time (after 1 a.m.) temperatures in the house are set to be lower than daytime temperatures. I get skin problems if swaddled up too much. Mrs Shiney sleeps under a quilt and I only have a sheet. She needs to be warmer than I do. :)

As we are in most of the time and Mrs Shiney sees patients at home the house is kept pretty warm - it never gets below 70F unless we are away and then we keep it set at 60F.

When I retired 15 years ago we said that the two main things we would spend money on were keeping warm (including household comforts) and having holidays. We spend very little on anything else - we don't smoke or drink but eat out, fairly cheaply, quite regularly.

@WeeTam we have solar panels and last year got 21% but should really have been about 15% return on it (PM me with regard to your mother's panels if you want to how that worked out :blue thumb:). The Feed In Tariff that pays us for producing electricity has dropped a bit for new owners (guaranteed to remain at your starting tariff) and will drop again, drastically, in January. So anyone thinking of getting it done needs to act fairly quickly.

The standard return can also be bettered by having a switching system to an immersion heater.

Virtually all drying of clothes etc. is done by tumble dryer.

Our house and summerhouse are fully airconditioned.

Total annual power costs are now somewhere around an average of £150 per month. We could reduce that by changing our lighting over to modern equipment but the capital layout is not worth it - especially as I can't do it myself. We still use the old fashioned incandescent light bulbs and they cost about 20p each.

• Informative Informative x 4