1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Eryngium big blue

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by mazambo, Feb 5, 2019.

1. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Hello everyone, eryngium was a plant I bought last year and I repotted and I think I got the potting mix completely wrong, losing the plant. So this year I thought I'd have a go at growing from seed I've had a look at how to but i think it's a bit beyond my skills for now, so I ordered 3 bare root plants can anyone help with the best potting mix for them?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Big Blue is a good variety of eryngium I think mazambo....bigger flowers and stature with glaucous silver foliage than usual eryngiums. I grow it here as well as a couple of other varieties:)

They do not like being moved though.....they develop a tap root .... for this reason I buy potted plants. In my experience bare roots can sulk or not grow at all :noidea:
    I suggest placing your bare roots in pots big enough to accommodate roots without congesting them. I use a john innes mixed with perlite; mpc mixed with perlite would be ok. I aim for about 25% perlite.

I would pot up but not water yet delaying this for a few weeks; light watering then increase as growth is seen.

When you decide to plant out in the garden choose a position where they wont be moved again and try not to disturb the roots too much and in a position in full sun and in well drained soil.

I never water eryngiums even on my light soil:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      @Verdun brilliant thanks, it will be pots, I'd read they were fussy but didn't realise bare rooted were too, will do as you say when they arrive, thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
      • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        Just been in the garden tidying up, the wind has blown last year's eryngium from somewhere, that's what a mess I made of it.

Attached Files: