1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Eucalyptus tree leaves turning brown and dropping?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by melanie93, Jun 19, 2017.

1. melanie93

melanie93 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    IMG_9508.JPG Hi, I'm new to the world of gardening moving into my first home with a garden in march. I have a tall established eucalyptus tree in the back garden. I've noticed the leaves are turning an orangey-brown colour and starting to drop. Does this mean the tree has a disease or is it because of the heat? Or something else? Thanks Mel ☺️

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Gardener Councillor Governor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +7,984
    Well I am not sure but if it is just odd branches of leaves dying I would tend to think weather as they can stress in the heat... They are very susceptible to wind burn and scotching..

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

joinery
    Ratings:
    +17,628
    I think it just might be natural leaf loss.
    All evergreens drop leaves, but tend to do it at different times to deciduous trees, they stay evergreen but still have a leaf change.

The bark dropping of Gum trees is also something that happens.

4. melanie93

melanie93 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the replies. Leaf dropping seems to have calmed down since I posted. So fingers crossed it will be okay!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1