1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Evergreen advice please

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Fat Controller, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,622
    Today, I began the task of tidying and pruning in readiness for the coming spring, and when I got to the back corner of the garden, I decided that I had to tackle one of the evergreens that had a large chunk of branches sticking out, and hanging low creating a sort of 'hole' in the tree at the same time as blocking light from the lilac that is next to it.

Out came the saw, and this is the current status:

IMAG0041.jpg

Now, this tree is the last in a row of four evergreens, sandwiched up against a lilac (on the left in the pic), which I think is part of its problem. As everything has grown around it, less and less of it has been able to get light, hence it pushing out further and further until it became the problem that it was before I hacked it back today. Looking around the sides of it, there is very little green - the bulk of the green is higher up.

So, do I leave it as is and see what comes of it (I doubt it will recover much, if at all?), or hack it further back to create a lollipop shape tree (would that look odd in the current position?), or cut it down and allow the two trees at either side to fill out a bit?

Also, its three neighbours are in need of topping - is there any reason that I can't simply lop the tops off them with my extendable loppers?

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      You'll need to heed better experienced members than I, but, in my opinion, that isn't going to grow back that side.

Also, please be aware of the "high hedges" act: if you have two or more evergreens it is deemed a "hedge" and should not be more than 2 meters high (or 1.8 I think is the nitty gritty). It's a little more complicated than that (of course!) but it might be something you wish to bear in mind when deciding what you are going to do and how much you may decided to lop.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,622
        Thanks @"M" - I definitely want to lop a good couple of feet from the tops of them, as they are too high for my liking. No complaints from any neighbours, but then I don't really want it to get anywhere near that as we have good neighbours. The other three look fine, although I suspect the side of the one that butts up to this one will be equally brown and barren - that said, it is at least the side that won't be seen much.

I suppose the other option is to try and encourage some sort of climber to grow up the front to hide the barren section - although what would grow where the ground is so arid because of the trees is anyone's guess.

• Like Like x 1
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +14,389
          Chop it right down, dig it out but dooooon't leave it like that! You're right..it won't regenerate so there's not much point leaving it. You can lop the tops of the others, but they'll look a bit raggedy. It would be neater to cut 2' lower than the height you want them, then trim the fine growth flat with shears or a hedgetrimmer.

• Like Like x 3
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,622
            How deep rooted are they? I assume they have a tap-root?

• Like Like x 1
            • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +14,389
              Not really tap-rooted....just chop round with a sharp spade and rock the top-growth to expose the roots underneath. Then you can chop/lop/saw them :)
              Didn't @shiney take out a whole hedge last year? He's the expert......

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,612
                I'd dig it out FC as conifers can't replace what's dead. The roots tend to spread at least as far as their height and can be damaging as I've found out to my cost in the past. If you can't get all the roots out it's not a problem, they will eventually die and rot down without re-shooting.

• Like Like x 2
                • Disagree Disagree x 1
                • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
                  Ratings:
                  +6,654
                  The only conifers that will re-grow when in that state is Thuja and Yew.......I would remove it as advised above :), most if not all conifers are relatively shallow rooted which is why growing things close to them is always a challenge as they remove lots of surface moisture from the soil.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                    +8,083
                    As others have said I'm afraid that the tree is a goner FC. It will not regernerate. The only snag is perhaps the tree behind/next door to it has got brown bits on it too from them touching. Hopefully not too bad? I wouldn't bother to dig out the root unless you want a work out:). There is nothing you are going to get to grow in it's place being so close to the remaining tree. You can see even your grass can't cope with the competition I'd just saw the tree down as close to the soil as possible. The tree will not regrow from the stump.
                    I think I'm right in saying that you want to pune the remaining trees 3 ft below the desired final height. We were given about 30 Cupressus Leylandii years ago at another property which we planted as a hedge. I think from memory we were advised to let it get 3 ft higher than we wanted it and then take the tops off which worked pretty well.
                    If you do take the height down you will be left with rather unslightly brownish tops for a while but eventually they will grow over.
                    Personally I hate Conifers with a passion. I have quite a few here unfortunately but not nearly as many as when we moved in!!! We have a muckle great hedge which needs annual trimming plus a whole load of small trees(kept that way) along the roadside which help to stop "Jimmies" driving too fast along our single track road.
                    Why I hate most Conifers is because they can't be left for years and then pruned hard to regernate unlike say a Beech hedge. Yes they grow fast and give a good screen but they are high maintance once they have been planted for only a few years.
                    Luckily we don't have neighbours but Conifers seem to cause so much trouble when allowed to grow huge. When we moved here there was a Conifer hedge around a summerhouse. The hedge had grown to about 18 ft! and the upshot was the summerhouse was COMPELTELY shadded. The damned hedge had huge trunks and we ended up getting someone with a JCB to get rid of it. When the JCB driver arrived to see the job he asked if the summerhouse had been used to film blue movies in as it was THAT secluded:).

• Like Like x 3
                    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +49,622
                      Aye, the neighbour is a bit brown on that side, but not nearly as bad as this one - plus the side that is brown is the side that faces the back of the garden, so will only really be seen by the people over the fence at the back, and even then it will be obscured to some degree by the lilac that is next to it.

I have to be careful, as I rent this place, so these trees are not mine - if they were, they would all be gone (I hate them with a passion too), but I had no real choice but to deal with the branch that was sticking/hanging out from the tree. As for the neighbours, I will be as conservative as I aim to be as conservative as I can be and nip the tops off them with the loppers purely to stop them getting way out of hand.

EDIT - What about planting something like a Virginia Creeper nearby, and training it to grow up the brown side of the neighbouring tree?

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
                      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +52,612
                        I wouldn't suggest a Virginia Creeper FC, they run riot and would probably strangle other plants. A Clematis or similar is a better idea but again you have to think about the nutrients and water that the remaining conifers sap from the ground.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +118,508
                          Sorry I'm late to this thread.

@noisette47 is correct :blue thumb:. I removed 22 trees nearly two ago and have been reducing the height of Leyllandii for over 30 years.

The tree that you have cut needs to be removed as it won't recover. It won't die but Leyllandii, when exposed back to brown wood, will never grow green again in that part of it.

Lowering the height is not too much of a problem, unless they have grown very tall. They seem to be fairly mature so are likely to have a lot of strong side branches growing upwards and a thicker central 'trunk'. How much lower you cut it than the eventual height you want is not of great importance but there are a few things to consider.

It will only be the outer branches that will continue to grow as the inner ones will have already lost their growing ability from having died back. There are plenty of outer branches to not make this significant. As the branches grow in an 'arms upwards' (like a person with raised arms) you should cut the main trunk lower than the rest of it. This is usually why they recommend you cut 2ft - 3ft below ultimate height. That's normally done of you need to take about 6ft off the height but won't harm if you do it on smaller ones as long as you just take the centre trunk down that much.

The 'arms up' part only needs to be taken 6" - 9" below ultimate height (this is to give you new growth to eventually be cutting regularly, so you won't have have thicker branches clogging your hedge cutter. It's going to look quite tatty at the top for a couple of years or so but this won't be to noticeable from below if you intend to have the ultimate height at the 2 metres limit. There is usually no notice taken, even if complaints are made, if it doesn't exceed 8ft high.

Looking at your picture I presume your fence is 6ft high. Therefore I would reduce the main trunk to an inch below the top of the hedge and the arms to an inch above. Then you can let it grow about 6" before trimming the top by about 3". Then let it grow another 6" and trim back 3". Then you can keep it trimmed at that height.

That way the work won't cause any complaints from the neighbours because they won't see the tatty part that it will start with and it won't be too high for you to be able to cut easily.

From the landlord's point of view, you have just removed a tree that has 'died' ;) and you are cutting the tops back to keep them legal. :dbgrtmb:

You'll be surprised at how much waste you're going to have to cart away :hate-shocked: I presume your local dump will take the waste (some don't). If they won't take the removed tree (it looks a lot smaller than the others) you can chuck it in the boot of your car and dump it on my bonfire heap if you come to Open Day. :)

• Like Like x 1
                          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                            Ratings:
                            +49,622
                            Thanks @shiney - they are well over 8 ft now, so I am doubtful that I will be going as far as taking the other three down to 6ft this year; I am thinking that my main objective this year is to get the wee one away and then just trim back the others to stop them getting majorly out of hand, maybe cutting them back properly later in the year or even next year.

You are not all that far from the truth about the tree being dead, as it all but is due to the way it has been squished up against its neighbour and the lilac. I remember the amount that I had to get rid of when the buddleia blew down a few years ago :thud:, however I will be able to get shot of the bulk of the stuff at our local tip; however I will be retaining some of the thicker stuff to use as chimnea fuel :snorky:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                              Ratings:
                              +49,622
                              There aren't any plants nearby, so that wouldn't be too much of a problem, and even once it reaches the other end of the tree line, it could scramble all over the fence if it wanted to; I suppose the downside is that it would potentially block out the light to the remaining conifers and kill them off? I would love a nice flowering clematis, but I am doubtful that one would get enough of a vigorous start to survive near the trees.

• Like Like x 2
                              • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
                                +599
                                If a tree could ever be classed a hypocrite, conifers would be Donald Trump.

They are such a pain in the backside for so many reasons - for so many people. It's guaranteed that if you got the council involved to order a neighbours conifers to be cut down to an acceptable height, they'd grow side shoots in a big, arched smile, and well out of control again in a couple of years.

Yet when you want them to grow, nurture them and try to keep them well maintained, they go brown and die back. I hate trimming the damn things in case they decide to throw their toys out of the pram.

Personally, I'd plant Virginia creepers, Russian vines and Clematis montanas amongst them and let nature take care of the rest and make sure the new kids on the block have plenty to drink :Wino:.

• Like Like x 3
                                  Last edited: Feb 28, 2017