1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Evergreen lawn feed = lots of sark patches

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by roger06, May 5, 2010.

1. roger06

roger06 Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

I put Evergreen lawn feed on my grass at the weekend - then it rained a bit.

Now there are loads of black patches all over - looks almost like someone has splashed around tar or black paint.

Have I done something wrong? or is this a sign that it's working properly?

thanks

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :wink: Well I cannot be 100% sure as I cannot see it, but that sounds like you had moss in your lawn & the weed & feed has now killed it off.. If it is the usual proceure is to rake it all out being carful not to spread it about & then re-seed those patches.. Post some pics if you can..:wink:

3. roger06

roger06 Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Oops - have just noticed my dreadful typo! 'Dark' patches of course...

Will try to post some pics later.

thanks

4. roger06

roger06 Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Here are some pics - not very good I'm afraid as shot with my phone...

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Hmm well a little hard to say from the photos Roger as you say as one can't actually see dead moss Roger
    Moss is a moisture loving plant and can quickly overtake a lawn and form its own ‘lawn carpet’ which can smother the grass and weaken the lawns vigour.
    Causes of Moss on lawns

Moss is symptomatic of wet, poorly drained soils. Grass can also be quickly invaded by moss where areas of lawn are shaded.
    Another cause of moss on lawns is when the lawn mower blades are set to low and the grass is scalped. If the grass is cut too short it loses its vigour and its growth is severely inhibited. In these conditions moss will quickly take advantage and establish itself in the lawn.
    How to get rid of moss.

Many lawn treatments such as weed and feed contain ‘moss killer’ that contains chemicals that will selectively kill moss off. Once the moss is dead it can be raked out of lawn and disposed of. Care must be taken when using a moss killer as when the dead moss is removed it can leave large bare patches of lawn that are prone to infestation from other weeds. These bare areas should be quickly attended to by seeding or returfing.
    Although moss killers may temporarily rid your lawn of moss, the moss will continue to recolonise the lawn until the underlying causes of the conditions that suit moss are identified and rectified.
    To treat these underlying causes we must employ lawn care methods that will also benefit our lawn in many other ways as well as prevention of moss infestation. Moss will find it harder to establish where the grass is thick and strong. These lawn care techniques include

• Aerating the lawn to help reduce soil compaction, improve soil drainage and improve grass root development
    • Identify drainage problems and if necessary install appropriate drainage channels
    • Identify trees and other objects that cause areas of the lawn to be shaded and either move / remove them to a more suitable area or rethink the design of the lawn.
    • Mow the lawn at the correct height so that it retains a strong vigour.
    • Prevent that build up and remove existing layers of thatch using a scarifier.
    If you rectify the problems of soil drainage compaction and shade then there should not be any need for moss killer as the moss will not survive in the revised conditions. Hopefully by looking at treatment of lawn moss you can see many lawn care techniques have an impact on a number of lawn quality factors and that like most lawn problems, prevention is better than the cure.

[/quote]

:scratch: After that the onl thing I can think of is you have an infestation of Leatherjackets & they really are bad news..
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_and_diseases/nonflash_index.shtml?leather_jackets

Sorry I am not being more specific or helpful than that at present Roger..

6. roger06

roger06 Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hmm - thanks! Think I'll just mow the lawn and then see what happens!

7. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Those dark patches look to me like scorch marks caused by too much feed in one place. It's very easy to do and I usually end up with a few patches like that when I treat my lawn and I've been doing it for years!

If you're aware that you've sprinkled too much lawn feed in one place, spread it out quickly with a stiff broom before it gets damp. If you only notice the patches because the grass is turning black, don't worry. Just drench the area with water and you'll find the grass will grow back quite quickly.

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: Ah Flinty a breath of fresh air.. I have not experienced that so it didn't enter into my thoughts about it.. That could so well explain it as you say Flinty having seen it.. Go for it then Roger & head Flinty's advice.. :thumb:

9. roger06

roger06 Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

Yes I think you could be right - that was actually my first thought as I did spread it by hand... I'll continue to water it.

However, I did the spreading in two halves over two days - there are no patches on the second bit - but perhaps my technique had improved by then!

Cheers