Evergreen plants for stone vases.

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by J.Conrad, May 9, 2020.

1. J.Conrad

J.Conrad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I hope I will be able to return the favour, but now I need advice on evergreen plants good for a 3ft high stone vase. I would appreciate any input, perhaps someone has such vases and would be willing to share what can be planted. Something slow growing, I guess. I’m thinking of something evergreen in the middle, and some hanging evergreen plants around?

2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,707
    I've got a lead urn of a similar size, rather a grand thing with handles - C19 copy of a C17 one at Hampton Court. Originally those were planted up with just a single shrub - see this engraving of one at Versailles, with what looks like a small orange tree:
    [​IMG]

In a similar vein mine is planted up at the moment with just an upright rosemary. That looks nice and is growing well - also had lots of flowers this year.

Something you could topiarise - a bay (may get too vigorous), euonymus, pittosporum Tom Thumb - could all work well in the middle/on their own.

How about a small leaved not too vigorous ivy as an evergreen "dangler"? Spetchley is very attractive, with tiny leaves, and doesn't grow too fast. Or how about something grey-leaved just for the summer? Cineraria maritima? Helichrysum petiolare?

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  3. J.Conrad

J.Conrad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, Clare G. I've been toying with the idea of euonymus, but i have got it already in a few places. Ivy, was my ideal plant as a "dangler", but my wife would not let me have it :nonofinger: -- difficult choice now ivy or her ... Perhaps there's something similar. The vase in the picture is beautiful.

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,906
    I too was going to say Bay for the centre and Variegated Ivy. What about Variegated Nepeta instead which I have in pedestal pots or Transcantia for colour.

5. J.Conrad

J.Conrad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    But Bay grows high and needs to be protected from frost. Trandescandia seems like a good idea, especially that in my evergreen garden there some purple shrubs. Like the colour, and something of the sort might be great for the centre.

Not evergreen, but just came across Red Baron, the colour is stunning for the centre. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  6. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Actually before the rosemary I had my urn planted up with tradescantia - "Blushing Bride" (which is pink white and green) at one point, and pallida (purple) at another. Both looked good, but obviously were tender - pallida needed to be treated as an annual, Blushing Bride was hardier, it would get cut back by frost but come back in the spring.

7. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,906
    How interesting, that is what I have! I didn't know what it was (bought here years ago) and was identified by an ex-GC member from Holland. I love it but it has never bloomed ... does it?

Have to laugh ... all three of it have spelt it differently and my T'other Half laughs every time I say it, probably different every time!

Bay can be kept in order as I did for years here but lost in in intense heat!

8. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,707
    I've still got Blushing Bride in a pot on the patio @Victoria, and while it can develop little white flowers it doesn't readily do so. They're unobtrusive in any case.

• Informative Informative x 1