1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Evergreen shrub with Small White Flowers

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Irmemac, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    @Gail_68 It sounds lovely, and I will be interested to see it. But if it is Virginia creeper I'm not sure I could keep up with it! @Victoria, I think you might be right. My mum had a Virginia creeper. It was enormous :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      Cross posted there, @Gail_68! It is really stunning though. What a beauty! If I thought I could put it on trellising against another wall I would, but it would grow behind the shed and garage and it is extremely hard to get into those areas to manage it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Morning @Irmemac he planted it in front of the main tree up the back and it's grown up it and when the leaves come it really thickens out and by the tree there's conifers going across to my hubbies shed and it's grown through the conifers and come down in long strip and I cut them to a certain length and it makes them look like thick balls hanging down with separation in them but the more it matures the colours are stunning...it's an easy climber to cut and control in my opinion :)

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +50,753
          @Irmemac This is what Algarve is famous for ... our Almond trees in Winter (Algarvian snow) ... just lost all the blossoms on mine in the high winds last week.

Almond from Lane 18 Jan 11.JPG

The Almond Trees of Algarve – a legend

[​IMG]

Many years ago, during the times when the Moors still inhabited Algarve (al-Gharb as it was known in those days), there was a King who fell in love with a Nordic Princess (Gilda). This king conquered her father’s lands and her heart and brought her to Al-Gharb so that they would be married. During their marriage, this King noticed how deeply saddened his princess looked. He called upon many physicians to try to find a cure for what ailed her. Finally one of them recognized she simply missed the snow-covered lands of her home. The King ordered that many almond trees should be planted in the lands surrounding his castle, so that when they flowered in the Spring, Gilda could see the vast white covered lands and be reminded of the snow in her homeland. Gilda woke up one morning to the beautiful flowering almond trees and recovered her happiness.

• Like Like x 3
          • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,686
            @Gail_68, sounds like your creeper sits really beautifully. Looking forward to seeing a picture in the growing season, which seems so far away at the moment!

@Victoria That is a beautiful kind of snow! Would love to see the almond trees of the Algarve in person. Maybe next year.... Lovely story too. Warms the heart on a cold winter's night!

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Hi @Irmemac If it's not to cold tomorrow to step out doors :snorky:...I can take a couple of pic's of how your can see the threads of the climber hanging before the leaves come:)

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,686
              That's kind of you @Gail_68, but don't get frozen in the process. Stay warm, don't think the cold weather will ease for a while yet.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Hi @Irmemac I do apologize for being late replying but I got my hubby to take the pic's for me on Friday as it was way to cold for me...when the leaves form my hubby says they look like a bunch of grapes :heehee: :)

SDC13879.JPG

SDC13881.JPG

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,686
                Thank you, @Gail_68. I see what you mean. The colours must be spectacular when they go red and purple. Looks like they hang in a curtain. Thanks to your hubby too for braving the cold weather to take photos :yay:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  @Irmemac your welcome mate any time...I know they look like strips but those strips bunch together and that's why my hubby used the term grapes :snorky:

Well i'll add pic's when the leaves are fully out and developed and the grapes :whistle: are bunched :heehee:

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,686
                  And another one when you've made wine with the grapes :Wino::heehee::roflol:!

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Oh no mate ....we had a previous grapevine when we came here :phew:...total [​IMG]job :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
                    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Hi @Irmemac thanks for popping me the link mate.

Just letting you know...that we have a morrisons supper store not fare from us and my hubby clocked them selling clematis in there today after he'd finished in the garden and also our Virginia creeper..the one I've been sending pic's about...only £1-76p.

If you have a morrisons by you, you could always ask :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +1,686
                        @Gail_68 Thank you for the tip off. There is a Morrison's at the bottom of my street. I will be down there for a look tomorrow :Wino:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          @Irmemac If they don't have any you could always ask if they're able to get you one being as other stores are selling them and the clematis is the same price :)

• Like Like x 1