1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Exotic/Tropical border costing

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by *dim*, Nov 6, 2011.

1. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I have been asked to quote for a new border to be created in a garden in spring ... The occupant wants a tropical/exotic style border ...

the length of the border is 25 meters .... the border is north facing, but there is a 4 foot wall, so the taller plants will receive full sun and the smaller plants will be in semi-shade .... he is on a corner property, so there is no trees/shrubs on the other side to block out sun for the larger plants / shrubs and the area is protected from strong wind

We were discussing his needs in his study, and I noted a quote from a landscaping company ... total cost quoted was £4200 ... there is no hard landscaping involved, just the supply and planting of the bed

I have not put pen to paper (properly) yet, but have just done a quick calc based on current prices of plants from one site ... hostas/ferns and Hakonechloa grass are prices that I recently paid off ebay ... the rest are prices from the site that supplies tropical/exotic plants

Acer palmatum Red Flash (20 litre 120-140cm) - £125

Canna Durban (4,5 litre pot) - £12 x 3 = £36

Cercis canadensis Eastern Red Bud - £20

Chusquea culeou Foxtail Bamboo - 5 litre - £42.50

Cyathea australis Rough Tree Fern - 2 foot trunk - £100

Fatsia japonica False Castor Oil Plant, Japanese Rice-Paper Plant - 10 litre £22.50

Musa basjoo Japanese Hardy Banana - 5 litre - £12 x 2 = £24

Paulownia tomentosa Foxglove Tree - 10 litre - £28

Phormium tenax purpureum - £25 x 2 = £50

Rheum palmatum Tanguticum Chinese Rhubarb - 5 litre - £12

Trachycarpus fortunei Palm 40/50cm trunk, 120/140cm - £92 x 2 = £184

compost/manure/rootgrow/perlite = £90

Tetrapanax papyriferus - £20

10 large leaved hostas - £25

30 huechera - £120

20 evergreen ferns - £100

30 Jack Frost Brunneri - £120

70 Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' for the border edge- £280

total: £1399 .... works out at £55.96/meter

I think that labour to sort the bed will take me approx 2 full days at a max .... and I'm sure that if I shop around, I will get these plants much cheaper

On this job, (based on what I have quoted and because I have seen the other quote) I would quote a total price of approx £2000-£2200, which will give me a profit of approx £800 for 3 days work (2 days to prepare and plant and add an extra day to collect most of the plants from the same supplier)

so not sure what plants the other landscaper has quoted, but if he is quoting similar plants and the similar sizes to what I have quoted, he makes a really good profit (approx £2800 profit for 2-3 days work?) ...

(or perhaps I quote too cheap) ... and perhaps that's why I'm so poor
    :scratch:
    ------------------------

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Are you comparing like with like? Do you know how many and what size of plants he has quoted for?

Is the landscaper VAT registered? That adds on another 20% to his labour price.

You need to factor in all your time looking online at ebay and other suppliers, then will they be delivered in time for you to do the job? If not you have to store and look after them until they are ready to plant, this will also cost you something in transport.

I'm guessing that a landscaper will be quoting prices all from one supplier and delivered onto site, it's much less effort for him and I should imagine the plants all arriving at once will be in better condition.

The same thing happens in the building trade *dim*, builders just pick the phone up and get their supplies from the local buliders merchant delivered sometimes the same day. It saves them the time and trouble of ringing around for the best price, they see their time as more valuable than saving a few quid on materials. This makes sense if there is a gang of men waiting to do something and being held up by lack of materials is very costly.

If you are a one man band then you can organise your day around deliveries much more efficiently.

Still, good for you if you think you can undercut. There's always an opening for someone who wants to do a good deal.

• Like Like x 2
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      it's a difficult one, but I always quote the sizes of items such as palms and other plants ... if the client wants larger, they cost more, and I make this clear from the onset

I don't have a clue what was quoted, but will redo my quote and shop around ....there most prob will be less of some and some new plants not on my initial calcs

what has thrown me this time is the figure quoted by the other landscaper ... my quote will fill the 25m bed and the bed will be 'full'

I normally would come in a lot cheaper, as some of those plants grow pretty fast, so I would buy smaller sizes for cheaper .... palms and tree ferns are a different story though

I've also been stung before, by doing a comprehensive quote, with diagrams and listing each and every plant ... took me ages, only to find that the person who requested the quote, ends up doing it himself exactly to plan

so, of late, my initial quote just specifies x amount of palms, x amount of ferns etc etc without disclosing the exact details of the specis and without a detailed garden plan ....

if I get a firm order, I then go ahead and supply and discuss what I have in mind, and go into great detail

but to be honest, I think I always underquote as I am fairly new to the game ....

but has worked so far, as all my work is word of mouth and I'm kept pretty busy

• Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
      Ratings:
      +1,337
      That's why some landscapers charge extra for a comprehensive quote say something like £40 and then if the client goes a head with it then it then they subtract £40 from the overall cost:rolleyespink:

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      good idea that ... thanks ... will try that on my next quote and say that the £40 is for time spent planning and costing

:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,193
        Maybe he has too much work and has quoted a high figure, if the client accepts it he could subcontract the work to others. Only speculating :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
        • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,881
          You should also factor in an extra 10% to cover any unforeseen contingencies. Again, if you don`t use it you can always deduct it from the final bill. Always be honest with the client as he is your next advert.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
          • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,593
            dunno ... I helped a landscaper a few weeks ago planting shrubs/plants

his quote was £16 000 for the supply and planting ... must say that the garden was fairly large (at a guess, I would say 1 acre (4000 sq m), but the majority of the garden is lawn with flower beds on the edges, and also included seeding the lawn

he did supply some decent sized acers and other small trees and there was a bit of bamboo in a corner (a good sized bamboo is not cheap)

was a good job, and the garden will look very good once it matures

just think that I am underquoting .... but it's difficult to jack the prices up if all your work is word of mouth

word of mouth is from friends , so they tell their mates what you quoted ... so, it's hard to make it more expensive

however, once I start advertising and get new enquires, I will take a different approach, especially if I am busy

no more mr nice guy
            :cool:

• Like Like x 1
            • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,593
              another bit of good advice ... thanks Dai ....

think I need to re-evaluate my whole approach in the new year

• daitheplant

Retired
              Ratings:
              +2,881
              You feeling alright *dim*? You are not sickening for something are you?:loll::loll::loll::dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
              • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,593
                not sure Dai ... been a strange and wierd day (my 1st day without having to work for a few months)

I've been totally bored, but it's been mellow and I have had time to think a bit deeper (than normal)

sort of feel that I'm at some sort of crossroads in my life .... and planning for next year ... but saying that, nothing in my life has ever worked out to plan

:D

• Like Like x 1
                • Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
                  Ratings:
                  +1,337
                  I'm almost ashamed to say that this made me laugh a lot:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                  • daitheplant

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +2,881
                    All right for some having sunday off. I had to work this morning, then go home and do some shopping, prepare sunday lunch then sort out some laundry.:heehee::heehee::cry3:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                      Ratings:
                      +7,297
                      Having seen his quote, then bang yours in at 3400
                      Have you factored in testing the soil on his site, and if you need to, manure and mulch it all, compost it remove what is there with disposal costs

You just say you have costed the plants and three days labour
                      I doubt you will be walking into virgin black soil rich loam borders already prepared ?

Leaving another quote for you to see, could be to encourage a lower quote from you, or it was a false quote to see if you were a rip off merchant, and the true cost would be about £2500
                      Best to be honest then, but do not work for the minimum just for work

Do you have a portfolio of different borders you have done preferably with what it looks like just planted and what to expect after one year/two

Or if you have not kept pics then get some off the net and compile one from that
                      You could show them the book and approx cost per metre
                      Say x per metre unprepared border, x per metre removal and establish border, x per metre ready prepared

Some pics of differnt types of plants, sort of pick it your self mate

A bit like funeral directors, coffins and flowers cremations and burials, church chapel or humanist

Jack McHammocklashing (off on me tangents again)

• Like Like x 3
                      • daitheplant

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +2,881
                        I`m a great believer in before and after pics.:D:D:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1