1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Eye catching tree suggestions

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Sandy Ground, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    Does anyone have a suggestion for an eye catching tree that can be used as a solitaire?

I was originally thinking of a Judas Tree, but the local climate wont allow these to survive.

The soil, incidentally, is on the alkaline side.

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sandy,

A lot will depend on it's situation, ie how close it is to the house/other buildings etc. Also how large do you want it to grow.

My favourites tend to be more of Spring interest such as Laburnum or ornamental cherries etc.
    However a tree that is grown for it's scent is
    Cercidiphyllum Japonicum, the Candy Floss tree. It really does smell of sugary candy floss and has amazing autumn leaf colour. Also, it is similar to the Judas tree, so if you like that you should like this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  3. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    PS... You mention. " local climate " , it would be useful if you could say where you were, thanks.

4. Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    Thanks for your reply, sorry for not mentining my location, I'm in southern Sweden.

From the information I have on the tree mentioned, it should work here if its available.

Any other suggestions anyone?

5. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,609
    Not familiar with your zone Sandy. And not sure what you mean by using a tree as a solitaire?
    If I am selecting a plant or a tree, I want to see what it looks like fully mature, with all its leaves, with the flowers, without the flowers and when the leaves drop, what it looks like just awaking up. If I can get an all seasons interest the better. There are some trees out there that their bark is simply beautiful, so even in the winter, there is beauty. So perhaps a good tree book from your library, of local trees to your area.

6. Lorea

Lorea Wine drinker

English teacher
    Ratings:
    +1,363
    A fast growing option could be a corkscrew willow (Salix matsudana "Tortuosa"), and you can use the branches as decoration in the house. I loved mine (I also have very alkaline soil) but had to get rid of it as it took up too much space (and kept trying to strangle me every time I walked past it :th scifD36:).

7. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
  8. Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    Redstar: By the word "solitaire" I mean a tree that stands alone as an eye catcher. Something with a "wow" factor that would have its own beauty without the need for enhancement by other plants. As for the rest of your comments, I agree entirely.

Fern4: The link is correct in so much as this country is divided up into 8 zones. Even if they do only show 7 to the left. Unfortunately, they have manged to "reverse" the numbers. The zone I live in is 2 in reality, but 7 on that link. To make things easy, if a plant in the RHS Encyclopaedia has "3 stars" it would generally, but not always work here.

For everyone that has posted on this thread, and will post, thanks for the help! Its appreciated more than can be imagined.