Eye Test - a bad experience

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Peter K, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Peter K

Peter K Gardener

Ratings:
    +126
    Earlier this week I went for an eye test at Vision Express. During the course of my appointment I was with 4 different people. Towards the end I decided that rather than buy new frames I would use my existing two frames but new lenses. And then paid £250 For 2 sets of lenses. The last part of my test was the field vision test (flashing dots). I just sat down to begin the test and said to The woman in the room that by using my own frames it would save me money and then she said but if we break your frames we aren't liable and that there was no compension. As my frames are Armani and Ralph Lauren, the conversation got a little heated and I kept losing track of the test as I kept looking up to talk. Part way through she left the room and then came back in and said that I could have my money back for the lenses. The test finished and she went away again and returned saying that the money had been cashed up and I couldn't have my money back. Then she said i missed a lot of the lights on the test.

Two days passed and I decided that I wasn't happy with the eye test so I went to Boots Optitions and had another test there including field vision and everything was fine. The prescription had only changed by 0.25 so I wouldn't notice much difference with new glasses.

I decided to go back to Vision Express and get a refund on the lenses as their prescription had incrased by over 0.5, and make a complaint and also show them i had had a new field vision test. The team leader inspected the prescription and gave me a refund.

Later this afternoon I received a call from Vision Express, their Optomotrist would like me to go in for a second field vision test. I called back and left a message with one of the sales people to say I won't be coming back for another test as I had another one at Boots this morning and the results were fine. After the bad experience I had already had, I really don't want to and don't need to go back.

Having looked on the internet this afternoon some sites say that an Optomotrist can send results to the DVLA and your licence taken off you.

As I had my eye test at Boots today, can I be pushed to go back to Vision Express for another test? And if I don't go back will their results be sent to the DVLA? As I need my car for my job, I really don't want to lose my licence.

Sorry for the long thread.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
      +428
      Have you checked on the DVLA website?

And my advice is to complain on Twitter about the crappy experience you had at VE. Companies pay a lot of attention to Twitter and usually react quickly to any bad publicity.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,315
        Cant answer you main question but I think opticians are pretty dodgy these days.
        Dont appear to be very professional and will do anything the sell you junk.

Having said that, my last test a Boots was pretty good and they said I didn't need new glasses, which came as a shock as I'd always used vision express before and a very dodgy local one called eye to eye, who always make sure you need new ones.

• Like Like x 1
        • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,078
          I wouldnt worry about it. They are obviously a bunch of sharks and wont want the matter looked at further.

These opticians operate like double glazing/ used car salespeople.

I had an eye test 30 years ago, i needed glasses for distance, i never wore them,eyes tested again 4 years ago,eyes no worse,got a test booked soon,will see what happens.

If i need glasses i will be asked to choose from their selection again no doubt but i will buy direct on line from glasses direct or speckyfoureyes. 2 pairs for c. 50 quid.

• Like Like x 1
          • Peter K

Peter K Gardener

Ratings:
            +126
            I agree, but unfortunately I don’t have a Twitter account.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,310
            I've always used an independent optician Peter, the cost is not a lot different to the chain opticians.

If the results are sent to the DVLA which I doubt, then they will almost certainly send a request directly to you to have another test. You will be given a choice of up to five opticians where you can have that done and the results will be sent by the optician back to the DVLA. The optician will also be able to tell you whether the result will or will not mean the loss of your licence. I know this because I went through the process eighteen months ago having declared to the DVLA, on renewal of my driving licence, that I had eye problems.

At that time I hadn't lived in my current area long and not being able to find a couple of the independent opticians on the list, I went to Specsavers (another chain optician) and I felt like I was on a conveyor belt, like yourself. The place was open plan so there was no privacy and my conversation could be heard by every other customer there. Never again! That said, the test was basic, the same as yours, with just flashing lights to spot. The result was fine and forwarded to and accepted by the DVLA.

It's unlikely as I said that Vision Express will send your result on but if they do and you hear from the DVLA then go back to your second optician and ask him/her for advice. They will probably offer to deal with the DVLA for you.

• LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
              +428
              It's easy to set one up and you don't have to use your real name on it. They will Direct Message you pretty quickly.

• Peter K

Peter K Gardener

Ratings:
              +126
              I have just noticed that they are also on Trust Pilot.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,184
                Hi,

Have never heard of that before, but also looking on the web, I wonder if what you have seen is typically post accident where the police/dvla order you to have an eye test to their requirements at their appointed opticians and if failing dvla driving standards ( which would have to be quiet poor) then your licence would be revoked or as Sheal mentions post medical problems can cause a similar reason to have a dvla test.

Sounds like VE are just bluffing, trying to frighten you, if they did pass on such incorrect info think they would soon run into trouble themselves.

Have walked into their local branch, like the Marie Celeste, wonder why ?

Think the keynote for any opticians is do the eye test and get your prescription and only then when asked to choose the lenses and frames bring you own needs into the conversation, if they do not play ball, you have your prescription and can go elsewhere.

Also something not mentioned but quiet importance, partic for us older folk is regular eye tests can help spot early signs of problems not just in the eyes but other health conditions too.

• Like Like x 2
                • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                  Ratings:
                  +6,097
                  1. You don't have to have your glasses made up by whoever tests your eyes. You can take the prescription elswhere.

2. Yes optomologist can and do notify DVLA in serious cases of vision defects. If the DVLA consider you to be a risk, then they will arrange a thorough eye test. You can be blind in one eye and still retain your license.

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                  Ratings:
                  +4,411
                  I've never used Vision Express, I've gone to Specsavers for the last half dozen pairs of glasses I've had.
                  I've a pair for watching TV I bought the year before last and I bought two pairs for reading, last year for £129. They are all the type that look "rimless."
                  I used to have varifocals, but haven't bothered since I told the optician that they were not that much help. She said her's didn't help her that much either. I found they were useless for watching TV, if I laid back in my nice comfortable reclining chair. It's diffcult to look through the bottom part of the lens, in that position.

As a general rule, if you wear glasses, you should go to an optician for an eye test every two years, once you reach the age of forty, as your eyes constantly change. Over the past few years I've had increasing difficulty reading small print, when this used to be no problem.
                  But at the same time, my distance vision has improved, so much so my optician told me last year, I don't need them anymore for driving, as I satisfy the requirements.
                  The biggest benefit is with golf. It hasn't improved my game, but I'm no longer having to search for a tissue to wipe them when it's raining to be able to see the ball properly.

The sight requirements to drive are quite minimal. Anyone in any doubt about their ability to satisfy them can have an eye test and ask the question. If they fail to reach the standard with prescribed lenses, I'm sorry, but they shouldn't be driving.

But all eye tests are all a bit of lottery. You are in fact, "self-prescribing."

"Tell me which is best...this... or this?"

Most times I haven't really a clue!

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                  Ratings:
                  +20,945
                  I used Boots for eye tests and glasses for years. I've always been pretty short sighted (qualified for free tests), then I started needing two pairs of glasses and found that the distance glasses with high refractive index glass were very fragile and after breaking several lenses and Boots unable/unwilling to offer any solution than their insurance; I went to an independent optician and switched to plastic lenses. This year I needed varifocals and after testing Boots were unable to set my mind at rest regarding lens fragility and the cost for the lenses I needed was silly. So back to the independent no problem top end plastic varifocals and frame for a £100 less than Boots quoted for lenses.

• Like Like x 1