1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fence-safe plants - are these ok?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by nikirushka, Feb 14, 2016.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    Soon I will have a brand new plant bed, alongside a brand new fence. The bed will be somewhere around 23ft x 4ft. I want to put in some biggish plants, but nothing that will compromise that fence, and nothing that requires serious maintenance - I don't mind doing a bit of pruning each year, but within reason as I've got a big garden so there's a lot for just me to maintain.

Current thoughts are:

Kerria japonica pleniflora
    Ceanothus
    Cornus sanguina "midwinter fire"
    Sorbaria sem
    Sambucus nigra

Are those ok to go along the fence? It'll be concrete posts and gravel boards, but in soft, sandy soil. Just from the planting POV, it will get full sun most of the day, and is well drained.

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Kerria and cornus are both suckering and form almost thickets, so I wouldn't call them low maintenance really. But, they can be kept in check and kerria does have such pretty yellow flowers which would look fabulous with the blue of the ceanothus (if it is a Spring variety)
    Ceanothus will thrive.
    Sambucus likes a more moist position, I *think*.

Hopefully others will be along soon to give their opinions and advice :)

3. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    Thanks. Kerria I grew up with so I know how well it spreads! I'm not too bothered about having the one higher maintenance plant in there so long as it is just the one. The cornus I could put elsewhere if need be so I don't have to stay on top of it quite so much.

The sambucus can go elsewhere too, if it needs to - luckily I have a big garden and while it's all sandy, some parts do not drain as well as this spot so I can find a moister location for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,515
      'Low maintenance' is a difficult definition and not compromising the fence is also difficult.

As far as I'm concerned all the plants you mentioned are low maintenance as they only need pruning infrequently.

All those plants, apart from the Sorbaria, are not necessarily good from a fence point of view. They won't undermine it but they will grow against it. Then your easy maintenance efforts will be hindered by trying to get access between the plant and fence.

Most of those plants look better when freestanding and not up against a fence.

4ft can be plenty of width or too narrow depending on whether you need to restrict the growth of the plants in the front as well - such as along a path or driveway.

Some ornamental grasses are good at growing big, being easy to maintain (chopped down once a year) and not being a problem if needing to be restricted. They would have little impact on the fence.

Some ideas:-

Also, low maintenance is subjective. This was a new bed in March 4ft x 55ft

P1220891.JPG

By September it was full of plants that wouldn't really impact upon the fence as we had just grow annuals up it for almost instant effect (so discount those).

P1250650.JPG

October where you can see the effect of the annuals
      P1250967.JPG

And December when the annuals have been removed

P1250253.JPG

Ignoring the annuals, the only maintenance had been to cut back the flowers in the main bed when they were finished. It now just needs weeding and some winter pruning.

Some plants that are good against a fence and need little maintenance are Hebes

P1250298.JPG

This was an emergency job of putting in some ornamental grasses when a disease took away most of the plants in this bed.

P1250977.JPG

• Like Like x 2
      • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
        +93
        Thank you so much shiney, that is a fantastic reply! I am a big fan of ornamental grasses so that would be a great idea for me to do. I've got a couple of teensy ones that were reduced but they won't get that big) but I also have carex pendula (yes, I know it spreads!) and I want to ID some from a customer's garden. Unfortunately I lost the pics and they'd cut the big one back last time I went!

That being said, I believe it was the same as the stripy one in your last pic. What is that, please? There's also one at a care home nearby that I've loved since it appeared but no idea what that is - the leaves are low down, maybe a foot high and the seed heads are 3-4ft high, mostly stem with the flowers/seeds at the top. Golden coloured stems, green leaves.

What I might do then with my listed plants is relocate: I would like to plant down the side of my garage anyway (garden side, not fence side) and that is good solid construction so pressure from the plants would not be an issue. And I have other spots away from boundaries I could put things, too. The kerria I'll still keep in the bed though.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,515
          It's Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus' (Zebra Grass). It grows to about 2 meters high.

P1250579.JPG

P1210901.JPG

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1