1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

First Time Lawn Care

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by OneGreenFinger, Mar 28, 2022.

1. OneGreenFinger

OneGreenFinger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just moved into my first home with a proper garden and lawn. The lawn is not large, maybe 15/20 square meters, but it clearly hasn't had much love in the last few years. It is very overgrown and has what looks to be a lot of weeds growing in it. What should I be doing to get it back into decent shape? As I say, I am very much a first timer so please state the obvious!

It is a north facing garden but we are on the end of a terrace and the whole lawn has been getting 5-6 hours of sunlight in recent days.

Thank you in advance!

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    Welcome to the forum @OneGreenFinger . If possible an uploaded picture would help people give appropriate advice. :)

3. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,780
    Welcome. You can pretty much turn a wild meadow into a lawn. Once things start growing you use a lawn selective weedkiller. This makes the weeds grow and outstrip themselves. You then cut the grass and the weeds with it. A couple of times a season makes a huge difference. You then get a feed like Green Up which boosts the grass and helps it no end. Regular cutting with a good mower makes a huge difference to any grass.

4. OneGreenFinger

Ratings:
    +0
    That's great thank you. I've attached a few photos after a first mowing this weekend. IMG_20220329_122039.jpg IMG_20220329_122036.jpg IMG_20220329_122025.jpg

5. Jocko

Ratings:
    +6,780
    That looks ripe for the treatment I suggested but I am sure there are others more knowledgeable than I will have advice.
    My daughter (many years ago) used to complain that the next-door neighbour had "daisy grass" whereas we didn't. Lawn weedkiller!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • OneGreenFinger

Ratings:
      +0
      Brilliant! Thank you I will give it a go

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Agree with @Jocko , though would suggest you use one of the liquid weedkillers you dilute and apply by watering can , as imho, its easier than the granular ones which can burn the lawn if you do not distribute it very evenly.
      Also be wary of the small spray bottles for spot treatment, as we found its way too easy to over apply and burn the grass as well.

Whatever treament you use, probably better to wait a few weeks until the soil is moist and the grass and weeds are growing strongly after this cold spell they say is coming down.

• Jocko

Ratings:
      +6,780
      I always use a liquid weedkiller. I have a watering can for that very purpose and a spray bar.

[​IMG]
      There is no point in watering now as until things start growing, as Ricky says, it won't do much good. Come May you can start to weed kill and fertilise.