1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Free BBC Countryfile 'Grow Wild' seeds, a good idea?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Barders, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
    +153
    Hi,

I am REALLY new to gardening and have let my little garden get into a bit of a mess. So this year I want to make it into a lovely environment to not only enjoy but also for insects, butterflies and bees.

To that end when I saw I could get free wild flower seeds I thought what a wonderful idea (money is very tight as well so that was another reason!). They arrived today and I was reading the packet and it said not to be 'used in or near natural areas' which I thought was a bit odd?

I did a little digging (pardon the pun :snork:) and all I could find was someone saying that buttercups (one of 12 different types of seeds in the packet) spread like wildfire. The last thing I need is for my newly tided and lovely nature garden to be over run with buttercups (and I don't my lovely neighbours would be too impressed either!). So I am now reluctant to sow them, can anyone expand on this please and if it is a real problem, particularly for a newbie please:help:

Many thanks in advance, Lynne.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,901
    Good evening @Barders and welcome my friend:smile: Meadow buttercup doesn't spread nearly as fast as creeping buttercup, as it tends to do so more by seed rather than vegetatively via spreading rhizomes (which in the case of meadow buttercup are very short), If I remember correctly the buttercups in this mix should be fine. Meadow and bulbous buttercups are more grassland plants, while creeping buttercupRanuculus repens is much less fussy and will be the one you find invading your flowerbeds.here is the list in my packet;)

Common or lesser knapweed ,Corn or common poppy ,Corn chamomile ,Cornflower ,Corn marigold ,Hedge bedstraw ,Lady's bedstra,Meadow buttercup,Meadowsweet ,Oxeye daisy ,Red campion ,Ribwort plantain

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
      Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    • capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
      Ratings:
      +1,320
      I have the same said packet but have just seeded a large pot to add a touch of variety to my small patch out back. Time will tell how they perform.
      They contain.
      corn chamomile
      corn marigold
      corn poppy
      cornflower
      hedge bedstraw
      lady's bedstraw
      lesser knapweed
      meadow buttercup
      oxeye daisy
      red campion
      ripwort plantain
      Look like a good selection if only I could tell one from the other!

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
        +153
        Many thanks for welcome and the information Wiseowl and Capney. I never thought of putting them in a put, but I only have two and they contain things already, but will keep that idea for the future if I am not sure about something, thank you :dbgrtmb:

I will clear an area at the back near a brickwall and the fence and by the sounds of it Wiseowl they should be fine, so I will watch with interest to how they all grow, can't beat enjoying something you got for nothing ;)

Many thanks again both. Lynne

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,901
          Good evening @Barders you are most welcome,perhaps you could post a photo of them when the grow:smile:

• Like Like x 1
          • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
            +153
            HI Wiseowl, I was thinking that as well, although I will feel a bit of an idiot if they don't come up! but I will try to clear the ground and get them next weekend and cross fingers and toes they are the first part of my lovely new garden, thank you again for your advice, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,901
              I have time count the times I have been an idiot on Gardeners Corner,but better to be an idiot who tried than one who didn't try at all,I find that we learn more from our failures than we ever do from our successes,but I am sure you will succeed ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Fyfy K

Fyfy K Gardener

Ratings:
                +51
                Hi Barders, Speaking of free seeds Gardeners World on BBC2 seem to be giving them out every few weeks. It was tomatoes last month, and last Friday was sunflower seeds. Maybe worth watching out for them (but you have to be quick! I got straight online and think I got some, but the servers were really jammed).

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
                  Ratings:
                  +3,225
                  I got mine a few days ago and chucked them onto the garden yesterday. I don't bother with marking an area and digging it over. It doesn't get that in the wild so why should it in my garden?

Most weeds are wildlife friendly too. I leave dandelions and nettles in place. As long as they don't seed and the bees use them then why waste my time pulling them out?

• Like Like x 2
                  • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
                    +153
                    Many thanks Jane and Fyfy, I thought it was just the one lot Jane ,I will try when I get home later, fingers crossed:fingers crossed:

I like the sounds of not digging, but unfortunately I have a lot of weeds so will have to do some anyway, but good point about the wild, so will save my energy for something else in the garden, like cultivating nettles! I think I had cornered the market in them for Hampshire, so have had to remove quite a few, but will definitely leave an area with them Jane, thanks for that. Interestingly, I don't have any dandelions in the back, just a few in the front lawn, but I will watch out for those and leave them if they grow. Off to the dump to recycle the old fence this afternoon, getting there a bit at a time :hapfeet:

• Like Like x 2
                    • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
                      Ratings:
                      +3,225
                      Nettles are good for the compost bin too so if you have any you don't want sling them on there.

Once you start weeding you can begin to recognise weeds quite quickly, even before they get going.

• Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
                      +153
                      Hi Jane, thank you for that. Actually, I don't have a compost yeet, but I would like to make a small wodden one in one corner I am going to clear and I would never think to put them in there, good one many thanks :thumbsup: